velvetgeorge

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by The Ballzz, Apr 26, 2015.

1. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Member

Sir,
    I find it interesting that in the demo on the Metropoulos website, of the 12,000 Series, when the vid starts with the lower volume settings:
    A) The original exhibits just a tiny bit more clarity and brightness/bite, if you will, than the replica

BUT......

B) Once the amps are cranked, the replica appears to exhibit the same tiny bit more of the same stuff than the original.

Please rest assured that I'm not picking on you in any way, but simply wonder if you can provide an explanation of why this is the case? I'm guessing slightly different "actual" values of components, especially taper rates of pots? Just curious as to whether it can be easily explained.
    Curious Gene!;)
    Thank You Sir

2. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

Not sure what you mean. The original is brighter through out the video. The age of the amp, different components and x amount of hours on it will also play a factor in tone

3. velvetgeorge

velvetgeorge Member

Thanks for the inquiry, and you are always welcome to email directly as well.

NOS tubes definitely have a clarity that modern tubes don't seem to possess. But I think you are hearing more highs in the clip. In the replica amps I am forced to paint with broad strokes, so to speak, with voicing. I may have to trade off some high mids to reel in the mid-mids, for example. But those high mids can be brought back with the treble and/or presence controls. Throw in the difference in pot tapers and it's easy to see how hard it might be to make the replica sound exactly like the original using exactly the same control settings.
    Typically, a tweak one way or the other, from 5 to 6 or so, gets it there.

On the Metro-Plex I have designed a way to deal with narrower frequency bands and am able to paint with more precise strokes (sticking with the paint brush analogy).

george

4. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Member

George,
    Thanks for your kind reply and it's kinda what I had already surmised. I typically do my online listening on my studio mixdown monitors, so I have a pretty clear picture of what's going on!:cool: The amp sounds fantastic, but.......

On a separate/additional topic, I just watched your Metroplex demo and.......... :drool

A truly stellar representation of great sounds and, as always, your playing and ability to "wring" out specific tones is fantastic!:cool: I hope that with all the time you spend building amps, you still get the opportunity to gig and enjoy the fruits of your great skills! The variety of choices is absolutely amazing, to say the least! You also demonstrate, quite clearly, how being a great player, with an ear for what sounds best and sense for what players want/need, is truly beneficial and helpful in designing, testing and building a great amplifier!

The difference in speaker cabs is much more dramatic than one would ever expect and quite an eye opener!:eeks

Your approach to getting "Big Boy Amp" sounds at realistically useable volumes seems to be second to none! :bow You prove that low wattage is not necessarily the only or even best way to accomplish this goal! One of the coolest things about it is that the amp is STILL a "Big Boy Amp" once opened up and not only a low volume example. My hat is off to you sir!

Now, just to show you how crazy I am, I would love to have you build one for me, but "AFTER" I play it and dial in my "perfect" settings and then leave all the knobs and variables out of the build except for the master. All pots replaced with fixed resistors and nothing but on/off, stand-by and Master volume. This would be the perfect amp for me! I set up all my guitars, humbucker and single coil Les Pauls, as well as single coil Strats to work flawlessly with all the same amp settings, so that the character of each guitar stands out on it's own. The only variable I ever "REALLY" need is to balance overall volume to the stage volume of whatever drummer I happen to be playing with.

Thanks Again,
    Gene

5. velvetgeorge

velvetgeorge Member

Very kind of you to say, thank you! I get out and sit in with friends once in a while. Not often enough though.

Glad you like the MP demos. That amp can sound as good at low output as it does cranked. I spent a couple months working on just that aspect of it.

The fixed resistor idea would work, with a few notable caveats:

tubes wear. What sounded perfect with new tubes might get dull as the tubes age. You want to be able to compensate with the controls.

Pots have a sound. Changing the pots to resistors would change the tonal balance. I would inevitably have to tweak to account for the difference in tone between pots and resistors.

Settings are volume dependent. How you set the tone controls for low volume playing is unlikely to be the same settings for high volume use. At lower volumes you will likely have more bass and presence dialed in. But at high volume I tend to dial those back a bit.

Food for thought.

george