1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vemuram Jan Ray = Timmy clone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Danielknudsen, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danielknudsen

Danielknudsen Member

Hey! I've got a Two rock studio pro amp and a 60s strat with lipstick pickups.
    I've also got an Analogman KoT and a klon.

I was thinking of getting a vemuram jan ray.,. Have any of you got some experience with that pedal? Testing it with similar amp like the studio pro or with lipstick pickups?

I have to travel far to test them out, so want to have a clue before i take the trip.

2. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I just played one today for the first time. It sounded really good, just not $400 good.

3. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

seriously, spend that $400 on a kingsley minstrel. it's literally a freaking tube preamp in a box. way more versatile, and actually worth the asking price.

4. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

I think if you like the sound of your KOT and Klon, you'd probably also like the Jan Ray. The Jan Ray replaced my Klon KTR as a low-mid gain OD. It doesn't really sound the same but, for me, filled the same ground but with a more versatile sound. If your amp is at all Fender based, the JR will do really well. I've not tried it with an el-84 amp so can't comment on how it would sound. I'm very happy with the JR in my rig.
    There are a lot of options if you are willing to spend $400 though- like the Jester/minstrel.

5. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

I just received my Jan Ray yesterday and I'm still in the honeymoon period but it's been a while since a pedal made me say "Wow" when I turned it on.

I won't get into the "is it worth the price" debate but I wanted to try it out and it does not disappoint. But as others said, look at other pedals in that price range and see what features/sound you can get.

For me, the Jan Ray will satisfy my overdrive needs for a while.

CaprioM85 likes this.
  6. Danielknudsen

Danielknudsen Member

Anyone tried similar pedals with lipstick pickups? Doesn't work well with too much gain, so i'm looking for a pedal that bloom and sings well, but a little bit of attack

7. zztomato

Hmm, I used to have a Jerry Jones guitars with those pickups. I did not have the Jan Ray then but I can say with 99% certainty that it would sound great.

8. Danielknudsen

Danielknudsen Member

I was thinking of using the klon as clean boost, KoT for high /med gain.. and I need a very good low gain overdrive, since that will be my main sound

9. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

my recommendation is klon for clean boost, kingsley minstrel for high/med gain, and use your kot for low gain.

10. Danielknudsen

Danielknudsen Member

Does the Jan Ray and the KoT sound the same in some ways? There are two channels on the KoT, one set for Low/med gain and one high gain, seems waste to just use it for low gain

11. SSgt93

SSgt93 Member

There may be a few threads on it if you search.

12. dsw67

dsw67 Supporting Member

That was my experience as well. Checked one out from Rudy's Music. The Jan Ray along with the Neoplex sound really good, just not not $800 good.

YMMV

13. eagle2x

eagle2x Member

The Order on my board is a Timmy (@18v with LM1458 chip)>Jan Ray>Klon KTR (as a boost. I play through a Dr Z ZWreck and this combination gets me from light amp hair to all out balls of fire gain. What I like about the Jan Ray is that with my strat and tele is gives a warm smooth feeling to the gain and seems to enhance sustain in my rig while still giving me the touch sensitivity that the ZWreck offers. Worth the price? Probably not, but for me it works. apparently the Jan Ray can go up to 15v so I may try that soon to see how it reacts. If you are looking at OD's in this price range you may also want to check out the clips of the Free The Tone SOV-2. Good Luck!

14. zztomato

The KOT has more mid focus while the JR is more mid scooped by comparison. There will be plenty of crossover between the two- and, for that matter, your klon. For me, the Klon became unnecessary after getting the JR.
    I must say that between Vemuram, Free the Tone, Jetter, Klon, Analogman, BJFE/Bearfoot, and a bunch of others, there is SO much crossover in terms of a "good" OD sound. There are lots of little nuances that each pedal maker will focus on to try to separate them from the crowd but, at the end of the day, you could find a quality OD pretty easily. It's just a matter of the combination of pedals that are going to work together and your own ears. For my setup I ended up with the JR and a BJFE Honey bee (old one) and a couple of clean boosts- one on either side.
    The JR is worth trying. The Minstrel is probably also worth trying but it's bigger and requires more voltage.
    I just tried an Ethos OD and, even with all the control options, it did not get me a better sound than the couple of ODs that I have on my board. The tone search can get stupid.

15. smoss469

smoss469 Member

The fact that it's gooped really has me curious; is it an original circuit or a copied circuit at an insane markup?

Has anyone cracked that one yet?

16. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

i know a guy who's working on it. we'll know soon enough.

but yeah, presence of goop says there's a 90% chance of it being a clone to an embarrassing degree.

17. btdvox

btdvox Supporting Member

:facepalm

18. *J*

*J* Supporting Member

could you PM me the details of what he finds out.
    thanks.

19. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

hey, if it turns out to be an original design, or an innovative twist on another circuit (e.g. honey bee from rat) i will happily take back the few bad words i've said about it.

sure thing.

20. btdvox

btdvox Supporting Member

Could care less at this point, how good it sounds is what matters and this pedal sounds fu*king unbelievable.:banana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.