Vemuram Shanks ODS-1 trimmers

Guitarchip

Hey guys, would any users of the Shanks ODS-1 care to let me know how they’ve ended up setting their trimmer? I’m playing a strat and a Suhr Alt t into a Princeton reverb. I bought used without a manual - am I missing anything there? So far I love the pedal - to my ears it sounds nicer than the duellist as a stand alone pedal (which id what it’s replacing) and as good when stacked into a Blues Power :)

Thanks a lot!

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
The ODS-1 is fantastic. I like to stack it in front of a Klone (Nordvang No.1 Signature) as well as with a Cornerstone Gladio SC. The two trimmers, one is for Bass and the other is for Saturation. I actually leave the saturation in the factory default as I like the gain range as it is. The Bass trimmer, allows you to set the bass level more to the likes of the Nobels ODR-1, which is what the ODS-1 is a variant of. The Nobels has a tendency to have more bass output, if you prefer it that way. So the Bass trim pot allows you to adjust the bass output more or less to how the Nobels were originally set.

Guitarchip

Thanks so much man - this kind of mirrors my own today! I’ve got both of the trimmers pretty much central. Thanks for detailed reply really appreciated

Andy S

Hey - recently picked up a Shanks ODS-1 slightly used on Reverb, fantastic pedal. Sounds great going into my Browne Amplification Carbon ( I own a Protein as well which is on my larger board, I bought the Carbon and Shanks for a mini board )....so I'm familiar with that ODR type sound....and love it.

Just curious - what are the "factory default" settings for the trimmers? No matter what that may be I'll still set them by ear, I'm just curious what Vemuram sets them at when they leave their workshop.

Maybe someone can post a pic if they haven't messed with theirs and bought it new ?

Thanks !

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
Hey - recently picked up a Shanks ODS-1 slightly used on Reverb, fantastic pedal. Sounds great going into my Browne Amplification Carbon ( I own a Protein as well which is on my larger board, I bought the Carbon and Shanks for a mini board )....so I'm familiar with that ODR type sound....and love it.

Just curious - what are the "factory default" settings for the trimmers? No matter what that may be I'll still set them by ear, I'm just curious what Vemuram sets them at when they leave their workshop.

Maybe someone can post a pic if they haven't messed with theirs and bought it new ?

Thanks !
I believe they're factory at noon.

billbfoot

Gold Supporting Member
I believe they're factory at noon.
Yes, I was thinking the mid-point as well.

From the FAQ section on Vemuram’s website, pertaining to the Jan Ray…

“The factory setting on the trim pot is in the middle. When you tweak the trim pot, you will see it as “+” sign, that would be the middle setting.”

So, even though the above is mentioned in specific reference to the Jan Ray, I would assume that this applies to the Shanks ODS-1 as well.

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, I was thinking the mid-point as well.

From the FAQ section on Vemuram’s website, pertaining to the Jan Ray…

“The factory setting on the trim pot is in the middle. When you tweak the trim pot, you will see it as “+” sign, that would be the middle setting.”

So, even though the above is mentioned in specific reference to the Jan Ray, I would assume that this applies to the Shanks ODS-1 as well.
Yep, it's the same :)

GTone80

Shanks ODS-1 is my all time favorite OD.
I've got a Medium and a large board, and both have a Klon type boosting Shanks ODS-1. For my nano board, I bought I should bring more diversity so I end-up putting a.... Nordland ODR-C :D

Saturation standard at noon.
I decrease the bass a bit generally for Suhr and Fender type : 10-11am.
With my Gibson Les Paul entering a Two Rock, both pretty dark, 9 am.

GTone80

Weird experience today.
I own the #866 since 2020 and it's the best OD on earth.
I just received the #1373 from the last batch and to my surprise, it DO NOT sound the same.

It's super boomy/bassy with way more gain.
If I kept the trimpot at noon on my old one, and cut everything on the new one, it will be still way more bassy. The old one is really amp like and open.
I bring it back to my shop and everyone agree that it was obvious, not a cork sniffer pick.

I'm a bit confused now, as I'm really looking for a second one. I don't know if I should look for one around the same #8xx serial.
I know that not many people own 2 Shanks, but is there any other experience ?

Outo-Tune

Silver Supporting Member
Weird experience today.
I just received the #1373 from the last batch and to my surprise, it DO NOT sound the same.
I just got one and have not been thrilled with it. Makes me wonder if newer ones are using different components due to supply chain issues...

rh

Robo Sapien Noisemaker
Double Platinum Member
Weird experience today.

It's super boomy/bassy with way more gain.
If I kept the trimpot at noon on my old one, and cut everything on the new one, it will be still way more bassy. The old one is really amp like and open.
I bring it back to my shop and everyone agree that it was obvious, not a cork sniffer pick.

I'm a bit confused now, as I'm really looking for a second one. I don't know if I should look for one around the same #8xx serial.
I know that not many people own 2 Shanks, but is there any other experience ?

FWIW, I bought #660 new and left both bass and saturation at factory settings.

vrmd

Silver Supporting Member
I purchased a new ODS-1 (#01713) several weeks ago. Sheeesh... this unit kills! I kept it stock until yesterday when I tweaked the trim pots for a touch more saturation and a touch less bass. Didn't think the ODS-1 could sound even better but it does. I play single coils into a D13 FTR37 or a Germino 55LV for reference.

GTone80

FWIW, I bought #660 new and left both bass and saturation at factory settings.

Same. With #860 I can left both trim pot at factory.
Impossible to do with #1373.
I'm picking a new one on the last European batch this week and I'll keep you informed, if it's closer to the sound in my head and #860.

GTone80

I purchased a new ODS-1 (#01713) several weeks ago. Sheeesh... this unit kills! I kept it stock until yesterday when I tweaked the trim pots for a touch more saturation and a touch less bass. Didn't think the ODS-1 could sound even better but it does. I play single coils into a D13 FTR37 or a Germino 55LV for reference.
OK great ! Thanks for the reference.
So recent units should be around that number...

Outo-Tune

Silver Supporting Member
As a follow-up. I spent all day yesterday with the pedal bass and saturation and tweaking my amp eq as well. It is now interacting with my amp very differently. I almost returned it. But this is not leaving my board. Humbuckers sound amazing, single coils quite good as well. I am amazed at how much more complex this simple pedal can be. I am thrilled.

GTone80

Just received the #1909 from my dealer. It's one with the new card board packaging, added warranty stuff stamped with the serial and a branded cloth.

Good surprise for me.... it sound IDENTICAL from my beloved #860.
I guess that the #1373 was a unit made a Friday evening, or with different component tolerances.

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member
#1976—just received this week. It's so good.

I got the Jan Ray a couple of months ago, and it immediately made all my other drives sound anemic. The ODS-1 sounds maybe a bit 'richer' still. I've only tried it with a Tele, though.

They're both just fantastic. I don't know how they do it—where they source their fairy dust, but these two pedals are my favorite ODs, easily. The only problem is that i don't (yet) see a lot of differentiation between the two pedals, and it's going to be hard to look down at $800 for the two and think one of them is unnecessary.

Does anyone else have both, and a rationale for them? I guess i need to try them with the Les Paul and the Strat and the P90s before making this assessment, but i've already been bothered by having a ton of ODs on my board, and wanting them to be more unique.

Oh, yeah—i had actually ordered the Nordland first, but it has been stuck in customs in Germany for a while, and the Vemuram arrived first. I'll have the ODR-1 to compare next week. I'm very curious to see how they match up, but i'm not sure if i love the Nobels thing, or if it's just the Vemuram thing that i love. Because i had the Wampler Belle until a couple of months ago, and i just got nothing out of it. The gain seemed anemic, and overall, it was just blah. The Shanks, though... i mean, it's just instantly good, and with both it and the Jan Ray, it's not like they have to be 'dialed in' with care. They sound great at any settings. Magic stuff in those little brass boxes. I keep coming back to the Leica camera parallel. I wonder if the Vemuram cases were meant to reference the beauty of a worn-to-brass Leica. Whatever—Leica (glass) was always known for imparting some sort of 'magic,' that wasn't really demonstrable in the technical analysis. People say the Jan Ray is "the same circuit" as the Timmy, yet everyone who has used them both says they sound different. Go figure. I kinda wish i understood how/why, but i'm not going to invest the time to figure it out.

Last edited:

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
#1976—just received this week. It's so good.

I got the Jan Ray a couple of months ago, and it immediately made all my other drives sound anemic. The ODS-1 sounds maybe a bit 'richer' still. I've only tried it with a Tele, though.

They're both just fantastic. I don't know how they do it—where they source their fairy dust, but these two pedals are my favorite ODs, easily. The only problem is that i don't (yet) see a lot of differentiation between the two pedals, and it's going to be hard to look down at $800 for the two and think one of them is unnecessary.

Does anyone else have both, and a rationale for them? I guess i need to try them with the Les Paul and the Strat and the P90s before making this assessment, but i've already been bothered by having a ton of ODs on my board, and wanting them to be more unique.

Oh, yeah—i had actually ordered the Nordland first, but it has been stuck in customs in Germany for a while, and the Vemuram arrived first. I'll have the ODR-1 to compare next week. I'm very curious to see how they match up, but i'm not sure if i love the Nobels thing, or if it's just the Vemuram thing that i love. Because i had the Wampler Belle until a couple of months ago, and i just got nothing out of it. The gain seemed anemic, and overall, it was just blah. The Shanks, though... i mean, it's just instantly good, and with both it and the Jan Ray, it's not like they have to be 'dialed in' with care. They sound great at any settings. Magic stuff in those little brass boxes. I keep coming back to the Leica camera parallel. I wonder if the Vemuram cases were meant to reference the beauty of a worn-to-brass Leica. Whatever—Leica (glass) was always known for imparting some sort of 'magic,' that wasn't really demonstrable in the technical analysis. People say the Jan Ray is "the same circuit" as the Timmy, yet everyone who has used them both says they sound different. Go figure. I kinda wish i understood how/why, but i'm not going to invest the time to figure it out.
Between the Shanks ODS-1 and the Jan Ray, it would come down to whether you want more midrange focus or more of the rounded low end and slightly scooped nature of the Shanks.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom