1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vendor Supporting Members - Posting as a Business on TGP

Discussion in 'Announcements To The Membership' started by Scott Peterson, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

No one is being chased off. There's no strongarm. The guidelines are spelled out in the OP for a reason. If someone doesn't see the benefit, we are not trying to coerce payments. The goal was/is and remains to keep things transparent for everyone in terms of who is doing what here. This site is run by musicians for musicians. We want businesses to interact comfortably but do not want people being schnookered. People working for companies promoting brands/products/services are spamming. We don't like spammers because members don't like spammers.

2. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I think I'm reading this right but want to be extra careful here. Does this mean I could start a thread in the Small Company Luthiers section promoting my builds?

Scott Peterson likes this.
  3. Scott Peterson

*Yes* you can. You have to use the new (only available to Vendor Supporting Members) "Vendor" thread prefix (you'll see the option to add it in the Subject Line when you create the thread) and you *CAN* promote in the thread. Each Vendor Supporting Member can create *ONE* Vendor thread in the Member Discussion area of their choice and can promote in that one thread all they want - within reason as outlined in the rules and the OP in this thread.

I hope that clarifies the topic for you (and others).

burningyen likes this.
  4. neteraser

neteraser Member

I like the new policy and appreciate the change.

What happens to this requirement if you currently only qualify as a hobbyist ? Earlier it was required to state any possible occupation.
    EDIT: Probably a stupid question, since if you're a hobbyist then rules don't specify any requirements for your signature.

CRBMoA likes this.
  5. 1967SG

1967SG Member

I see your point a bit better now. Any chance of a not-for-profit exemption?

EVHindenberg likes this.
  6. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Would be absolutely impossible to track.

1967SG likes this.
  7. Scott Peterson

PSA: General Guideline - Don't make rules you cannot enforce.

big mike likes this.
  8. 1967SG

1967SG Member

You are right. Not gonna happen without some type of audit.:D:D:D

9. 1967SG

1967SG Member

I plan to join as supporting soon. Wife had foot surgery and she has the only paypal accnt. No pedals probably.

10. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Another change request: Us vendors should still be given the ability to list personal items without the Vendor thread prefix.

11. maddnotez

maddnotez Member

My .02, it is indeed great to identify dealers and affiliates but I think sticking them for a higher fee is wrong.

Should you add on the main banner of TGP - a forum for profit? That is what this seems to me. Im not a guy that would ever list 35 guitars but I've sold my fair share of gear. I havent sold a single item here as when I joined I thought it was ridiculous and off putting that there was a fee do even do so. Im on many forums and none of them have fees to sell gear. Imo this is just taking it to the next level.

I'll be the minority here when I say TGP needs its members more then the members need TGP. Sure many are here but if TGP shut its doors tomorrow they would so elsewhere the same day.

This reminds me of the wired guitarist guys on FB in how they love to say how they offer a place to sell gear for "free" lol. Give me a break. FB offers them an outlet to do so, for free. This is purely a business trying to make more money off its members.

spentron likes this.
  12. CRBMoA

CRBMoA Member

Being a hobbiest builder, just now un-mothballing my operation, I would find the fee onerous.

I posted one thread on one other forum and my bench is full.

However, I am 'trading' on my reputation and past performance with that audience.

From my point of view, TGP is a place one could use to market a known product, but cracking this large of a user base comes with the 'requirement' that you have something that would stand out before one of the world's largest captive audiences.

Your $250.00 gets you the views, but this is a big pool to make waves in.

I cannot recall if I ever did sell here, but even if I did, the effort did not net the annual fee.

I have identified as a builder per the rules for years. My builds are 80% custom one-offs, which come from word of mouth and the occasional conversation that leads to questions that leads to, "Can you build a pedal that will do ___________?".

The Supporting Vendor status is not a good fit for MY situation. But back when I was moving pedals, 20 a year was just about right. Anymore, and my self-funding zen hobby becomes work.

If I invested enough time to build 10 pedals a month, they would be stock builds, with low margins, and I could absorb the fee. But I will likely pass.

Even though I have bumped heads in the past over posting content, I believe that in regards to the issue at hand, it is a reasonable attempt to adjust to a changing landscape.

These guys don't just herd cats. Bikini threads and dic pics aside, they have to referee a bunch of musicians.

Trying to sort out deals gone bad via a ton of PMs you don't see takes time.

Upthread, one of the Mods said no matter where the line is drawn, and I would add, even if the line didn't move after all, someone is not going to like it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 12:29 AM
    TVvoodoo likes this.
  13. Jaya

Jaya Supporting Member

By all standards I qualify as a Vendor here.
    Here is my dilemma-question....
    I represent some world renowned brands (Tao, Myka, Probett, Briggs, Benson) and unfortunately I have not sold any of their products here (despite being advertised) for years.
    All of our gear was sold through website, Reverb, social media....
    I do this in a very limited volume for the love of the gear and not for a big profit.
    1. Taking this in consideration do you think it's still fair to be charged $250 a year like some vendors that are flipping hundreds of used (or new) items yearly?
    2. Do I have to become Vendor and if so how should I proceed?

Thanks,
    Jaya

trpullen likes this.
  14. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

Watching for the answer to #2

15. Scott Peterson

Had to set the bar somewhere, $20.83 monthly per year isn't that high a bar. No matter what we do or do not do here, it will not please everyone.

Up to you on the second question. No stongarm tactics. If you see the benefits and they make sense, then yes. If you do not see the benefits and don't cross the line as per the rules as now in place, no.

Jaya likes this.
  16. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

Excellent answer. Thank you