Venue: "Please re-book... with a different drummer."

Hulakatt

Silver Supporting Member
He doesn't wear colors on a gig. The members do... it can be an issue around here since the "big" club will sometimes adopt a bar as their own, so some owners post "No Colors" signs. But for a rural vineyard with an upscale crowd, that's the kiss of death.
Sorry, I misunderstood the OP then. It is still an option to have the drummer talk to his club members about their presence or behavior.

meterman

Cops abusing their power and acting like dicks, no way!! Last time I went to a show at a biker bar I saw more confederate flags and swastikas in one place than I've ever seen, and I'm from GA. Hard pass on those folks. I'd tell the drummer the truth and let him figure it out.

Yer Blues

Well..... the band has already well established the use of subs.
The drummer is a "sweet guy" whose friends cause issues the venue does not want to deal with.
The venue wants to book the band, obviously knows the band uses subs because they requested another drummer), and does not want to deal the crowd the drummer brings.

If you want the gigs use a sub. :confused:

Holdsworthy

Possible compromise: Have the drummer record his tracks via midi. Then simply trigger the tracks at the appropriate time.

The drummer need not show up, yet he is “playing”.

Everyone wins.

MikeMcK

Silver Supporting Member
Wait a minute........the local HA allow, I mean "sanction" the local cops to play rival biker gang?
It's not HA around here, but another club. They sanction "blue" (law enforcement) clubs as well as others. There is (or used to be) a club made up entirely of recovering (sober) riders, most of whom were members of traditional clubs.

amstrtatnut

If my "friends" came to a show and caused the venue to ask for me to be replaced, you can be sure they would hear about it. Some biker clubs are just clubs. Some are more "tough guy". I'd stay away from those.

Back in the day, I had a bass player that I used to jam and play around with. We were both into bikes (Triumphs and HD) and were palsy with a local bunch of motorcycle knuckleheads. We'd partied and then parted ways, but he and a bunch of other biker idiots started showing up at shows in another band I had started in with and acted like total assholes. We had a pretty lead singer (woman) and they just couldn't leave her alone. Cringe!!
You could not talk to these fools, but it was rock and roll, certainly not in an upscale winery. Still a pain.
Later on, this group of bike nuts formed bonafide club, with a name, a patch and a "sanction" from the local Red and White. That was when I stepped away from the bike group, soon to be "club".
Eventually, the little club was assimilated by the big club, kind of like a start-up being bought out by the mega corporation, to absorb bodies, "talent" or eliminate potential competition.
I'd be inclined to keep "patched" players on the roster for only certain rowdy-type rock'n'roll locales.
Good luck Mike.
-Bruno

Telefunky

I’ve heard of certain girlfriends being banned from a particular venue but never a band member.

I’m all for freedom of expression, but if the venue doesn’t permit dancing, ya can’t dance. The dancers have to go elsewhere.

D K Souther

MCs are a no go for me. I don’t need the machismo. Let’s play some tunes and have a good time? However if the “bikers” showed up again, I’d play “Wanted, Dead or Alive” over and over again. Maybe in different styles? Just have the venue staff call them out; “REGGAE”!, “COUNTRY”!, “LOUNGE”! ;)

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
I've played a ton of shows with "bikers" milling about, I treat them like they treat me, cold indifference. I don't expect a reaction from them, I don't expect pleasant interactions with them, I don't seek their acceptance.

I don't like bikers.

MikeMcK

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve heard of certain girlfriends being banned from a particular venue but never a band member.

I’m all for freedom of expression, but if the venue doesn’t permit dancing, ya can’t dance. The dancers have to go elsewhere.
Way off topic, but this reminded me of a studio I used to know. You walked in and went down a long hallway to get to a door which led to the tracking and control rooms. Hanging over the hallway was a sign: "No girlfriends beyond this point. Thanks."

After you walked down the hall and made a left, there was another sign hanging over that door, which said, "Didn't you read the sign outside? NO GIRLFRIENDS!!!"

Last edited:

Trending Topics