Venue: "Please re-book... with a different drummer."

John 14:6

The bikers are as$holes, cops or not.

Either lose the drummer for that gig, you know the same scum will float in with him again... Or if drummer has sufficient standing in the band, ask him what he’d do, making clear what the problem is, and that future gigs there requure another drummer. :idea

cannot really answer without knowing specific personalities and musical abilities etc beyond that.... it’s a tough business.
Cops like that give law enforcement a bad name. 99.9% of cops do a great and very difficult job. It is that small percentage of thugs that get into law enforcement and get of on the power and getting to hide behind badge while being a thug to the general public. You want to reform the police then get rid of those type of "cops."

Guitar Dave T

Not bringing in an entourage that hurts the business owner seems like basic professionalism.

As is well said many times here, you are not being paid for the integrity of your art. You are being paid to sell food and drink. You are not being paid for your Mustang Sally covers. You are not being paid to knock people unconscious with your Yngwie rig. Your job is to increase the night's receipts by more than the owner pays you out.

It's just like bands that refuse to turn down to suit the situation. Have it your way, but don't be surprised when a band that knows how to do a job starts getting your gigs.
There is another thread in the Lounge re: defining what it means to be a hack. I disagreed with the thread because it seems we were all hacks at one time or another.

But your post reminds me there IS a difference between those who are professionals and those who are hacks, and sometimes talent has nothing to do with it.

Well put, thanks for posting.

cyclopean

Cops like that give law enforcement a bad name. 99.9% of cops do a great and very difficult job. It is that small percentage of thugs that get into law enforcement and get of on the power and getting to hide behind badge while being a thug to the general public. You want to reform the police then get rid of those type of "cops."
that would have to start with a major change of culture within the police force, and those "good" cops holding the other ones accountable.

SoPhx

I know the MC you mean---lose the drummer. Drunk offduty roided cops strapped with 1911s are to be avoided with extreme prejudice. I played lots of gigs for bikers back in the day and some were OK...until they got loaded and something pissed them off. There's always one or two who get off on random acts of violence. No thanks, and the bar owners don't want them around either. 81 has two clubhouses in my area and they are 86'd from almost every bar in town. NOBODY wants them around.

Last edited:

wire-n-wood

Supporting Member
That's what I did... I put it in his lap and asked what he thought we should do. He stepped up and said we should sub for him, but it's agonizing; he needs the work and again had no part in what happened.

I should add that this is the opposite of a biker bar... it's an upscale family vineyard/winery whose owners sponsored live music because it was part of their dream and long before it was clear it could be profitable. We don't even know whether the one problem person (besides the dancing woman) was a club member or a hanger-on. I have a feeling it's the latter. I've met a couple of the members, and they're basically solid guys who've earned the right to let off a little steam in the off-hours. OTOH, I can't imagine anyone stupid enough to be a non-member causing problems for a member of that club.
When anyone decides to wear a uniform or a patch (especially in a voluntary, non-employment situation), they become jointly responsible for the behaviour of the group. Not 100% individually responsible for every action, but jointly responsible for ongoing behaviour if they continue to wear the badge. Otherwise, what's the point of outwardly identifying yourself as a member?

tiktok

Supporting Member
When anyone decides to wear a uniform or a patch (especially in a voluntary, non-employment situation), they become jointly responsible for the behaviour of the group. Not 100% individually responsible for every action, but jointly responsible for ongoing behaviour if they continue to wear the badge. Otherwise, what's the point of outwardly identifying yourself as a member?
“Everybody wants to be a gangsta until...”

John 14:6

that would have to start with a major change of culture within the police force, and those "good" cops holding the other ones accountable.
Most of them do. That is why with so many MILLIONS of police interactions every year there are such a small amount of problems. The few issues that do happen and fit a desired media narrative make big news. Simple math.

PatriotBadger

What happens if you have to fire Mr. Motorbike Toughguy for some reason and he decides you have "Disrespected" him and he shows up with his "Brothers" looking for payback?

It's a real scenario. Stay away from these people.
You watch too much TV. I grew up in the heart of Sons of Silence territory. These guys make Hell's Angels look like a glass of warm millk. I encountered them on a fairly regular basis simply because where I live and the biker bars all over my area (there aren't a big number of SoS guys because its almost impossible to become a member). What they did on their own time and amongst themselves and rivals, I have ideas but really I don't even want to know. They were always friendly, respectful and well behaved fellows in public in my encounters, despite being apparently the most dangerous MC in the world. The last thing they wanted was to draw attention to themselves, especially from LEOs and the general public. I never once felt threatened or worried around them.

I suppose there might be guys out there like you describe, but that just sounds like angry dudebros who graduated from their WRX to a Harely.

Dr Bonkers

Does he earn money being a member of the MC?

Does he earn money as a drummer?

I would let him answer those questions, then ask him, "if you had to choose and you really need cash, why would you continue to be part of an MC that costs you money based on their behavior?"

Personally, I always adhere to the adage, if you lie down with dogs, then you'll get fleas.

Keep your band supporters friendly and confrontation-free.

stonem

Supporting Member
Your drummer didn't do anything. Stand by the guy man, you'd want the same thing from him if it was reversed.

Mark Robinson

Gold Supporting Member
Bringing folks to your gig, who flaunt the law, or even the policy or preferences of the owner of the venue is not good for business, yours or theirs. You’ll be the loser either way, long term. Not seein a lot of win in this.

Hofnarr

Every time I see this thread out of the corner of my eye in trending topics, it hits me as "Venus: Please re-book etc..", and I can't help thinking "Dude, that's the Roman goddess of erotic love talking to you. I think you'd better not ask any questions and just do what she says!"

uncle looie

What happens if you have to fire Mr. Motorbike Toughguy for some reason and he decides you have "Disrespected" him and he shows up with his "Brothers" looking for payback?

It's a real scenario. Stay away from these people.
Soooooo....hate bikers much? :rolleyes: