Verbzilla and other reverb pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ktp_blues, Feb 16, 2009.

1. ktp_blues

ktp_blues Member

So I might trade my Super reverb for a 59 bassman I think I'm going to have a bit of trouble living without reverb so I'll need a reverb pedal. I love vintage Fender tones but never really cared much for the on amp spring reverb and tremolo. Hardwire RV-7 gets a lot of talk but after listening to the Line 6 Verbzilla's clips, I think what I'm after is the cave setting of the Verbzilla: http://www.line6.com/media/tonecore/Cave.mp3 .
    It's too bad that it's not true bypass though, it seems like it would be a hell of a lot more versatile than any other reverb pedal I've seen. Has anyone been able to achieve this spacey, huge sound out of the RV-7 or any other reverb pedal? What's the best pedal for it?

2. Turiguiliano

Turiguiliano Member

keep the verb. get a looper for it. like a micro looper. im actually looking for a verb myself. two actually :banana

3. OnlyVees

OnlyVees Member

I'm running a Verbzilla through my tweed Bandmaster clone. I really dig the '63 Spring setting.

You're right about the bypass issue though. However, the Bassman has 4 inputs and you can jump the channels and blend Normal and Bright to get some serious Fender-y tones. I blend channels almost like an EQ.

4. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Ditto. I do this with my Verbzilla and Echo Park with my 59 Bassman reissue. Sounds better to me than running them in line at the end of the signal chain.

Edit: What I mean is I run the effects between the channels, from the low normal input into the Echo Park, then Verbzilla, and then into the Bright input. (I plug the guitar into the high normal input). The effects are mixed in by how much of the bright channel volume I add. This nixes the non true bypass issue for me.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  5. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I love my Echo Park and Verbzilla.
    Great features at a great price.

6. OnlyVees

OnlyVees Member

Actually, that's not what I meant. But I'll have to try that.

7. FREELESSONSNOW

FREELESSONSNOW Senior Member

I had a Marshall Bluesbreaker that I ran a Van Amps Reverbermate through.

I though that it did a great job.

8. ktp_blues

ktp_blues Member

Hmm... I never thought of mixing in both channels. That seems to be a good idea. But how exactly does it fix the bypass problem? And I'm a bit confused as to whether or not the effect goes through both channels or not. Are you saying that you run A/B into the bright channel without the effects in line and one into the effects into the normal input of the bassman?

Any comments on achieve cave-like reverb from other pedals other than verbzilla?

9. ZachariahG

ZachariahG Member

10. OnlyVees

OnlyVees Member

What I mentioned in my first post (blending channels) does not fix the true bypass issue, it just makes my tone a little brighter- closer to the guitar plugged straight into the amp sound.

On a side note, I can't imagine ever plugging a Fender guitar into only the Bright channel. That would hurt.

11. storm319

storm319 Member

Verbzilla is great. The octo setting is really unique (instant Edge shimmer). However, the tone core enclosures (mainly the switches) are very poorly made and have a number of issues. It is a real shame because they sound very so good. The Hardwire is a great sounding verb as well and constructed much better. My advice is to try it out and see if it works for you.

12. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Yeah, sorry Vees. I misunderstood your first post and ran off in a different direction, but it seems to have peeked KTPs curiousity.

For me this fixes the bypass problem by not having the VZilla and EP in the main chain. Plus, I personally just like the overall mix better running them jumpered between the channels. Yeah, it's not an effects loop, but it works better with my rig, definately! My ears hear a difference. Your maya may vary with your rig.

KTP, what I do is this:

I plug my guitar into the amp's Normal High input and set volume to taste. I then run a cable from the Normal Low input directly into the Echo Park, out of the EP directly into the VerbZilla, then out of the Verbzilla directly into the amp's Bright High input. Then with the effects turned on, I add them to the mix by turning up the Bright Channel volume gradually until me likey :drool. On the effects themselves, I have the EP mix set at about 11:30, and the VZilla at about 9:30.

Give it a shot! Hope this helps.

Kent

13. aziltz

aziltz Member

i have one coming in a trade soon, gonna try it out as a reverb with my acoustic but also a slapback/tile and octo/shimmer with the electric and see what i like better.

14. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

so no love for the boss rv-5? i love mine, the modulate setting is part of my tone

15. polifemo

polifemo Member

Beware, reverb in stereo (the clip) will alwas sound good whereas reverb in mono usually sounds like crap...
    Difficult to get an organic tone that blends with the tone of the guitar/amp.

I love reverb but as I seldom go stereo these days I´m using a Mad Professor Deep Blue delay set for hardly noticable ambience.
    Works much better.

And Yes, I do think that built in spring reverbs in amps sounds like crap as well.

16. Blue Bee

Blue Bee Member

digiverb has a cave like setting that sounds very natural...but the verbzillas cave sounds better, your original tone just gets colored more by the overall pedal.