• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Verification: Turning on a head without a speaker connected...

radcliff

I know this can blow your output transformer, but what if you turned the amp on, and then immediately off

...and then connected the correct speaker load, turned the amp back on, and proceeded to play for three hours...

Would the amp be good?

I'm just trying to figure out if anything might be "partially" damaged, or if its an "all or nothing" scenario.

Thanks

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Most (not all) amps are ok if turned on with no signal going thru them. Your probably fine. Bob

John Phillips

Did you switch the standby to 'play'? If not, you're completely safe.

If you did, the chances are very good that you're still OK. There are a few amps that are unstable with no load and no signal, but they're not all that common.

Even then - or even if you tried playing through it - damage is not a certainty. If the amp plays OK now, the chances are it's fine.

There is a small possibility that some partial damage could occur - an arc through the wire insulation, which could leave a weak spot which could arc again later - but mostly, if they do that they will short permanently and you'll know about it straight away.

radcliff

Cool, thank you all for the responses, I appreciate it.

I was trying a new setup configuration/placement and it was different from my normal routine, which caused me to skip a step - plugging in the speaker cable - doh!

Everything seems to be ok then, it was kept on standby the entire time.

Trending Topics