Versatile distortion for more "modern" guitar tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dioxic, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

I've started doing some session work for some friends & they're looking for more "modern" distortion tones, the kind you might hear in todays pop music.

Someone suggested the Wampler Pinnacle & claims that it can go from classic 80's tone to modern tones, but I figured I'd ask for your opinions.

2. telecasting

telecasting Member

What amp you using there?

3. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

I have a Pinnacle Deluxe and it does modern ok, but you can get something a lot cheaper. I also have a Hardwire Metal pedal and it is really good for cheap. utube em.

4. JamesSGBrown

JamesSGBrown Member

I'm impressed with my Emma ReezaFRATzitz. The RF-1 might be fairly cheap new, as there's a later model out, but it's great nonetheless.

5. HBob

HBob Member

The MI Audio Tube Zone is great. I have the six large knob version. There's also an internal trim pot for presence. Really versatile. Also a good stacker.

6. Dioxic

Dioxic Member

Alright, I'll check them both out!

I'll be playing through a Heritage Colonial (Bassman / Jtm 45 / Super Lead tones) and I'm using both a SSS Strat & an H-H equipped guitar.

I'd prefer to use a pedal over the amp distortion in this case because of the studio environment / possibility of playing this live in smaller venues.

7. JamesSGBrown

JamesSGBrown Member

I use the Reeza as my "gain" channel. Whilst I haven't been able to crank the amp yet (a 1970 SG with Swineshead pickups through a Laney VC30), it's really dynamic- cleans up well with the volume knob and reacts well to your picking hand. If you can pick up a second hand RF-1 it's worth a shot imo (the resale value is pretty consistent as well, there's always someone looking for a cheaper v.1 over a new v.2!)

8. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

check out the AMT dirt pedals, they're fairly cheap & have a variety of "amp inspired" pedals that usually have a cab sim output also
    (might work in your studio setup)
    I had the P-1 and it pretty much sounded like a 5150 spot-on.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Might look into the Fryette SAS: all tube, high gain with quite a wide variety of sounds/gain levels available. And they're blowing them out at GC for $119!

10. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

The Elements is good. But I would really push for the Scarab Deluxe.

11. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

12. mc2

mc2 Member

OCD all day long!

13. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

For modern tones I like using my Fetto Nord and Fulltone OCD.

For classic tones I prefer my MI Crunchbox or my Tonebender.

14. walkers

walkers Member

+1 on the MI Audio Tube Zone, very versatile and can get some great modern tones.

15. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

Goosoniqueworx Seventheaven will go from light overdrive to more gain than you could ever need, isn't cheap, but it's my favourite pedal, covers a lot of ground.

16. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

Skreddy Screwdriver all the way.

17. ChocoB

ChocoB Member

+1!

I have the Pinnacle, love it, but I wouldn't call it modern. It is very saggy, with I like. It has a modern switch that makes it brighter and maybe takes a bit of the sag out of it. But the Dr. Scientist The Elements is tight, tweakable, and has a amazing amount of gain on tap. Modern sounds galore!!!

18. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Funny, I've had every pedal mentioned in this thread (and a hundred more), and find some of the descriptions interesting.
    My Fetto does not sound modern, nor did my Seventheaven get "light overdrive".
    My Elements, SLOstortion, Pinnacle II, OCDs (3 times) all had their own unique sounds, but none what I'd call 'modern high gain'.

Probably the Tube Zone was closest, and it's a Mesa-based sound, like the Dr. Boogie.
    H&K Warp Factor was a good one too, as was the Zoom Tri-Metal.

Currently happy with this:
    [​IMG]