Versatile Fuzz???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jokerjkny, Aug 1, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

hey all,

i'm a HUGE fuzz guy, and while i'm the happy owner of a BJFE Candy Apple Fuzz, Keeley Fuzzhead, and Analogman Sunface NKT, i'm always looking for another great sounding fuzz.

but, while short of looking for a real deal '60 dallas arbiter, what else is there?

i've been eyeing the MI Audio Neo Fuzz, cause it has tons of tweaking options, but what else do you guys recommend? remember, looking for versatility. no one trick pony's.

[​IMG]

2. muddy

muddy Member

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Jae - don't know if it fits the bill, but the TRex Mudhoney is a great combination of OD and fuzz, depending on how you set it. A great pedal to grab if you can only grab one. Anyway, definitely NOT a one trick pony, very powerful rich sounding fuzz, not splatty.

4. blueprint

blueprint Member

I'm also a big fuzz fan...
    I would suggest:
    Cat's eyes Mista Fuzz: another "fuzz face" kind of fuzz, very good pedal.
    More simply, a Big Muff or a clone of it...
    If you search something wilder, more over the edge, the Lovepedal kARL is a must.
    +1 about the BJF Pink Purple. It's more a cross between a distortion and a fuzz imho, but it's very versatile and it rocks!
    If versatility means "lot of controls" in your mind, then look at the Carl Martin The Fuzz.
    Hope this helped. :cool:

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

thx guys,

lots of great ones to keep in mind. the mudhoney was another mentioned to me on another board, and cool stuff, muddy, but my Candy Apple does a bit of the octave'd / treble boosty stuff with the drastic turns of the nature knob. still, wouldnt mind another pedal in that ilk. ;)

but no shout outs for the Neo?

6. muddy

muddy Member

there's no octave content in the 'zeke's fuzz, none at all. it's just a fuzz (a very good one, mind you!) and a treble boost in one pedal, with a blend pot.

ml

7. studio8000

studio8000 Supporting Member

8. Tchello

Tchello Member

+ 1 for BJFe Pink Purple Fuzz a very versatile fuzz. A little expensive but...

9. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Everman FuzzDriveG2, not a HUGE fuzz but I haven't been able to get a bad sound out of it yet.

10. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

+1! :D

11. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Demeter Fuzzulator is worth checking out. Very versatile settings.
    FWIW,
    Rick

12. Marius M

Marius M Member

I would highly recommend the Demeter Fuzzulator, which is one of the most versatile fuzz pedals I've ever heard.

Or maybe the new Demeter FOD-1, which combines their Fuzzulator and Fat Control mid boost. I think I seriously need to get me one of these.

[​IMG]

Marius

13. Tecx

Tecx Guest

GAS Attack!!! MAN!!!

I have been looking at the GI Fuzz with lustfull eyes Joker, as has Mr. David Wilson... Right now, the Nick Nitro is Holding the fort down... That thing has tones of tones, even with just adjusting your guitar volume...

Alex

14. morgan

morgan Guest

I'll throw out there the GS Wyllie Moonrock. It does all kinds of stuff, ampeg scrambler, straight up fuzz, some wierd reverse-type fuzz sounds. And the box is super cool to boot.

15. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

many +1s

another Ive really taken too is the Cusack Screamer Fuzz - you can blend a screamer type drive with a fuzz on top, very versatile and lots of useful tones....

16. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Lovepedal Black Beauty Balance

Mine arrives in a few weeks!!!

17. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

I wish I could try the new demeter pedals. The Fuzzulator seems like it would be right up my alley...in the clips it sounds like a overdrive/fuzz hybrid, which I usually prefer.

The clips of the FAT OD are pretty nice, but the only way to tell how it feels would be to play it...

Anyone has more to say about these two boxes?

18. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I have the Demeter Mid-Boost installed in my Strat and it's my secret weapon for dialing in and boosting/fattening up my tone. It's very musical, never harsh or muddy, especially on my Barden bridge pickup, it's as close as you can get to a P-90. I also "had" (a friend has borrowed it indefinitely) a Fuzzulator, which is one of the most versatile overdrive/fuzz pedals I've ever played. Very amplike and touch sensitive just like Demeter amps. Very cool "Joe Walsh" type fuzz sounds coming out of this box.
    I've tried a ton of overdrive/fuzz pedals, but always preferred the tone of an overdriven amp. In fact, the only two pedals I've kept are a TC Chorus and a Zendrive, the best overdrive pedal period. But to give a comparison, I'd have to say the Fuzzulator is in the same family as the Mosferatu. Very versatile and responsive pedal, with a lot of gain on tap.
    FWIW,
    Rick

19. protoangel

protoangel Member

This ain't no joke!

I'm currently using my Ibanez phathead (bass distortion pedal) for versatile fuzz weirdness on my guitar rig... It sounds insane into an overdriven amp or overdrive/dist pedal>>>amp.

Its got a clean/dirty combo like the tubescreamer/sparkledrive with loads of gain, so consequently you get a the weird effect of 2 levels of distortion happpening at once if you've got an overdriven sound as your main "amp" sound.

It has this strange 3-way "attack" switch that changes the tone: Combine that with the bass and treble controls, and you get a very versatile fun thing happening, from great sustain to fuzzy madness.

Its also got a "clean" setting which you can use as aclean boost for more natural gain boost.

20. moodog

moodog Member

I've been enjoying this Da MOAF from Baja Tech Custom. It is incredibly versatile. I used to go to shows with several distortions to get my tone. This pedal has been the first to get them all and it's analog!

:dude