Versatile Reverb Pedal Recommendation

Riccardo90

I've been on the hunt for a versatile reverb pedal, and am wondering if any of you can help me end my search. I'd like a pedal that can pretty much always be left on, but that can also provide me with ambient tones when I dial it in. I currently own a Dr Scientist Mini Reverberator, and while I think it's fantastic, I only use its hall settings. I've tried the Hall of Fame as well as the Polara, and while I think they are great pedals for the money, they sound a bit too generic to me. My budget is around $220.

Thanks!

S. S. Bender

When dialed in properly, the plate reverb sounds pretty darn good on the Zoom MS-70CDR. You could have one program location stored with an "always on" plate reverb. You could have another program location stored for your primary ambient effect, with a myriad of reverb, delay, and/or modulation algorithm combinations to choose from to build it. As for me, I happen to like combining the Particle Verb and Stereo Delay algorithms for this purpose. Other folks really like the Ice Delay. If you want to keep things simple, you can set the control parameters of the foot switch to toggle back and forth between the two program locations. However, if you decide later to deep dive into the amazing number of options available in this pedal, you will be rewarded for your exploration. As of this writing, nothing beats the MS-70CDR for its combination of versatility, dependability, sound quality, and compact form-factor, at such an incredibly low price of $120 MAP.

leadImage_ms-70cdr.png

Last edited:

Bucksears

I'd wait a couple of weeks and see if anything new is announced at NAMM.
Otherwise, I'd look at the ZOOM MS-70CDR or Line6 M5. The Particle Verb and Octo on the Line6 are pretty standard ambient fare.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
The Source Audio Dimension Reverb can do a great basic spring/room reverb or a completely otherworldly, ambient, non-standard sound.
A big +1 on this. In my book, its only real drawback is that it is Mono only. Source Audio, however, it coming out with a new super Reverb this spring (the Ventris) that will be everything the Dimension is and SO much more. I am so psyched for this upcoming pedal, I am having a hard time sitting still. ;) In the meantime, though, the Dimension is pretty darn great. (I spend the weekend totally inspired by creating huge reverberant soundscapes using the Mod and eDome engines on it.) The sounds on the Dimension are ANYTHING but generic. (That having been said, if you are not big into ambient, the Plate, Spring and various Room/Stage/Arena verbs are all outstanding).

Another pedal to give consideration is the Neunaber Immerse. While it cannot to everything the Neunaber Slate can, the Immerse really condenses the best of Neunaber's (excellent) reverb sounds into a single, simple pedal, with no need to go app diving. It's well worth checking out.

Riccardo90

If you don't need stereo, Red Panda Context. Also consider the Hermida Reverb 3 - one of the best "always on" reverbs I've heard. It may not get ambient enough for you, though.

I've been thinking about purchasing the Red Panda Context. Sounds great and seems really versatile. I'd have to remove a pedal from my board due to its size, though. Is its delay good enough to replace my Malekko Ekko 616?

S. S. Bender

I'd wait a couple of weeks and see if anything new is announced at NAMM.
Otherwise, I'd look at the ZOOM MS-70CDR or Line6 M5. The Particle Verb and Octo on the Line6 are pretty standard ambient fare.

I do love my Zoom MS-70CDR, but I'll admit to having more than a passing interest in the forthcoming Mooer Ocean Machine. Hopefully, it will start shipping after NAMM, and I can find out if it lives up to my expectations. :D

bondieffects

Personally love the Stereo Wet from Neunaber, Hardwire RV-7 from Digitech, RV-5 from Boss, and the Hall of Fame from TC Electronics. I've used all extensively and I am currently running the Boss RV-5 on my board.

Andrew.

Honestly, if you're not happy with the Hall of Fame or the Polara, you're not going to be happy with any other multi-reverb pedal if your max budget is $220. The Polara is a damn good pedal for the money (I think it sounds better than the Hall of Fame). But obviously, it's not the best either - you can do better with more $$$.

If you really want a step up in quality reverb sounds (and a pedal that has lots of them), $300 is much more realistic and will get you there.

Me personally, I've come to the realization that I'd rather have 2 (or even 3) reverb pedals that each do their own thing (but do them exceptionally well) than have one pedal that covers more sounds than I honestly would ever care for or use.

These two pedals ended my search for all things reverb I wanted/needed:

Neunaber Wet
Catalinbread Topanga

The Wet covers everything from basic plate all the way to insanely, hauntingly beautiful epic ambience and the Topanga nails that vintage spring tank verb so well, it's incredible.

yeatzee

While I think the Neunaber Immerse sounds great, I've heard that it suffers from having a relatively low volume range, so I'm a bit reluctant to buy it.
low volume range? What does that mean? I've never used an Immerse but I own a slate and have no idea what that could mean.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
While I think the Neunaber Immerse sounds great, I've heard that it suffers from having a relatively low volume range, so I'm a bit reluctant to buy it.
I have not noticed that yet, but I have not really pushed it either.

Doctor Who

TC HOF - nope it gets lost in the mix, turn the mix knob clockwise, everything sounds muddy, long decay time, everything sounds muddy...
Zoom MS 70 - nope, too digital sounding verbs
Digitech Polara - a great sounding verbs, but the decay time is too short for my taste
Dimension Reverb - a hidden gem
Boss RV 6 - it cut through the mix, decent decay time, shimmer, modulate, reverb + delay mode, current draw: only 65 mA

Riccardo90

low volume range? What does that mean? I've never used an Immerse but I own a slate and have no idea what that could mean.

By "volume range" I meant FX level volume. It seems that the Immerse receives a lot of complaints concerning its low FX level volume. A lot of people on here claim that it doesn't have much on tap.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom