Versatile Speaker for a 1X12 CAB

iivv145

So today, I took apart a Peavey Vypyr 1x12, and I converted the combo into a cabinet.

So, I'm looking for a very versatile speaker that can work well with many amps. Soon i'm going to buy a VHT Special 6 ultra head, and in the future I want a dumble style amp, and a marshall style amp.

Any suggestions??

batsbrew

you gotta define the parameters.

how many watts.... only 6?

look at 25 watt drivers, maybe even 15.

the LAST thing you'll want to use, is a high watt clean speaker.

batsbrew

if you're going to use a 6 watt amp, and a 100 watt amp, you gotta problem.

you'll need two cabs....
or at least, two completely different drivers you can easily swap out depending on which head you use.

idea is, you want to dial in the cab, and speaker, and the head, all as a working unit.

one size does not fit all.

Gnarlly

Jensen Neo 12-100 would be my first choice. High-wattage "neutral" sounding speaker that sounds great clean and distorted. Also very lightweight. (I have one in my DRRI).

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
The 12L is the first speaker that came to mind. I don't think I've ever used it with anything smaller than a 5E3, but it sounded pretty good... I don't tend to go for overly cranked tones. Neil Young tones for example... if you wanted a 5E3 just for those tones, the 12L would not be a good choice at all.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
Another vote for the EV12L Classic.

Covers all the bases IMO...

Kelsey

If you like the basic tone of the amp and don't desire any appreciable speaker breakup, then I second the Jensen Neo. But I think you have to decide whether you want American or British tone with your amp to some degree. I'd be surprised if you found one speaker that was great with the 3 amps you mentioned, but then some folks like Brit speakers with Fender amps and Duane Allman used American speakers with Marshall amps.

JohanSolo

i will recommend hte Jensen MOD12-70.

i have heaps of clips of it in my sig (mainly with the jet city amp)
IMO its a good bang for buck, cheap unknown speaker that apparently comes sstock in the (cough) behringer 4x12 cabs. not too sure if "MOD" stands for modern or modeller?
but they have several versions/wattage.
i have the 12-70, which can handle 70W BUT is very innefficient so i use it for when lower volume playing is required (but still crank the amp)
it sounds fenderish when played clean, but when pushed has very similar characterics to the greenbacks.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Jensen Neo. The 12-100 has a Fender tone and the Tornado has little more of a Celestion tone, with a little less lows and highs, so it sounds like it has more mids.

Both are great sounding speakers, but their light weight makes all the difference. Why wouldn't you want a lighter speaker cabinet that sounds as good (maybe better!) than a heavier one?

ski_fast

Gold Supporting Member
For your 6 watt amp I could make you a great deal on an Ampeg alnico pulled from a J-20 combo.

Rick360

Howdy,

Ask Weber speakers for a recommendation. I did, and now my AlNiCO Silver Bell is great with my Carmen Ghia. Good luck!

iivv145

Thanks everyone. I'm going to keep thinking about it cause I still don't know what type of head I want anyways. But right now the Jensen and the Eminence and the EV are sounding pretty tempting because of their neutral natures.

soldersucker

I've got a nice light weight 1x12 i keep around and have rotated stacks of different 12's through it for ***** and giggles the Celestion V30 in there now is one sweet speaker for many applications.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
EVM12L is the only speaker I've ever had that I would regard as neutral. I've never had the pleasure of hearing a neutral Jensen or a neutral Eminence, although in a pinch I would choose Emi over Jenny any day. But the EV is the only one that will have the guts and tell you "the truth" no matter what amp you hook up to it....

If you do go with the EV, the main question then is can your new ho made custom cab properly tolerate the EV? If it's open back it may not matter, but not every closed back cab can accommodate an EV properly.

Trending Topics