1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Versions of AC Booster...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Sep 20, 2006.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Have there been changes to the AC Booster? Did it get the new switch that the other Xotics got? Any other revisions??

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

According to the last Allen Hinds vid on Xotic's site, the new AC booster sounds quite a bit different to the old one.

I thin the changes came after the switch change though.

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

You can send an old one in and for $20.00 they will update it. I'm paying atention on this as I like the old AC Booster on my AC30. I'd like to hear the difference.

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

They'll update the switch for $20, are you saying they'll update the circuit too?

5. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks for the info guys.

I'll have to visit the Xotic site and revisit those videos. I've got a BB and like it a lot. Does the BB do all that the AC does tone-wise?

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Another Q:

How can you determine if you've got a "new" version of the AC? Any easy tell-tale indicators?

7. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

THere is a limited edition CHROME model that just shipped this week. Same inside though.

8. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

9. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks for the link!!

Can anyone compare the AC and BB? I've got the BB and it seems like it covers most/all of the AC territory, although it's probably more compressed across the range. Do I have this right?

10. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I have both. The AC for me is only good to 9:00 on the gain, I use it a lot with an AC30. The BB is good all the way up, more like a SD9 with better low end. It's my Marshall pedal.

Maybe look at it like this, AC=Fenderish od, BB=Marshallish.

11. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey Jakeddy:
    Is the gain structure of the AC above 9:00 not very good to your ear?

12. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

It gets fizzy to me. From 9 down to off is ok though, off still has gain.

13. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Fizzy is ng. I've heard the AC described as open, organic and very amp-like. Since I won't be able to try one out prior to buying, opinions are welcomed and important to me.

I really dislike "fizz" - maybe the AC is not the right choice for me.

14. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

I use the AC Booster as a signal thickener to great advantage - mine is the older version.

This is my second go around with the pedal - I really like how it stacks with a compressor, a Blues Devil, or a Honeybee - it thickens everything up nicely. I rarely use it by itself as a stand alone overdrive - it is better when pushed by a compressor or a BD, or used to push a Honebee. As for fizz, you won't have that problem when you stack.

I may send it in for the mod - I just printed out the RA form on their web site. Thanks for the heads up!

15. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I have a newer version and am very happy with it. just my opinion but, i do find it to be more natural sounding than a TS, and quite felxible for pushing an already driven amp, or as a dirty boost for a clean amp. it does change the overall tone, some would call it thicker, others muddy. maybe a boost in the 500-800khz range which becomes more prominant as the gain is turned up. unity volume really varies with gain and volume. for my 1x12 openback combo, the bass boosts at the right level, may get muddy on a closed back. i like to boost the treble to 1 o'clock to get a little bite to my drive.

and I love stacking it with a compressor, one moment the AC is a subtle breakup, and then its roaring w/ my Squeeze. just these two as my light travel setup

joe

16. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

JG, how about a clip?

17. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Not a "fizzy" pedal IYO?

18. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

not for me, but I know others cut the treble on AC because of fizziness. in fact, avoiding fizziness and transistoritis was my goal when I bought it. I was listening to the initial attack and then how notes decayed (was there a huge drop in volume or any sputtering to the remamnents of OD).

compared it to some Analogman modded pedals, some Barber pedals, a Reetzafritz at low gain, a G2D Creamtone (correct?), and a whole slew of Menatone pedals (last generation, not the new small boxes) during a "guitar weekend" in LA. This was through a Maz Jr. which can be quite bright, my hollowbody w/antiquities, 15' of cable, and my compressor to hear drives boosted.

AC was the best for my needs, Menatone Red Snapper was a close second as it had less of the 500-800hz boost, but had a hint of fizz at the end.

hope this helps
    joe

19. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Joe. Very encouraging.

The buzz on the new version of the AC has me very interested, as I could use a good low-mid OD, and the RC and BB are two of my favorite pedals.

20. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Anyone else want to weigh in on the new AC?