versitile "plexi like" amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by R_S_G_7, Jun 14, 2005.

1. R_S_G_7

R_S_G_7 Member

I'm sure this has been done before. but:

I'm looking for a versitile amp that can do the following

plexi-style crunch. *(important)* The tone i'm looking for is like an old Park head i heard which are basically marshalls in different clothes i think.

decent cleans -i don't need perfect cleans.

plus have a little more gain on tap when needed.

be playable at reasonalbe volumes (this is holding me back from actually getting an old marshall plexi). -i live in an apartment style condo.

have a good FX loop.

<= 50 watts, 30-40 preferable.

Channel switchers ok with me.

i've done some research and the two amps i have found that seem to fit are:

Bad Cat Hot Cat

Rivera knucklehead

anymore suggestions or confirmations. I guess the more affordable the better.

Thanks in advance

2. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

you have just described the THD Flexi to a "t". check out Myron and Alex's video in the thread titled Flexi love below.

3. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

For home or jams or gigs or practice ?

If it's for home use I would not recommend the Hot Cat. It sounds best with the master around 9 o'clock or higher. At that point your neighbours would likely ask you to move :)

Another alternative might be the Budda Superdrive. I have both a Hot Cat and aBudda SD and I almost never play the Hot Cat at home. The Superdrive does the plexi like thing and lots of gain left. The clean side also has a great "pushed" clean.
    It has a very effective master and is still very dynamic and touch sensitive at low volume. They are also super cheap used.

4. R_S_G_7

R_S_G_7 Member

its for home as well as a band situation.

I'm actually thinking of just buying a Pod XT for home practice, but we'll see.

I was actually looking at some flexi's today in a shop. i may have to go back and play one.

So a hot cat 30r would be way too loud ? i have a 40 watt marshall right now and i run it at about 4-5 on the master...

5. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Original Knucklehead is a sweet amp, but usually one of the big reasons to get a Rivera is the clean side.

As to the Marshall aspects of the drive side? Yeah, good old Knucklehead has that aspect. But The drive side of Riveras tends to vary, (as did Marshalls to be fair). What it comes to though is that Riveras have a tendency toward a full throated growling crunch as opposed to the rough hairy upper mid sort of Marshall crunch. If you want that, most Rivera models might not be your amp.

In fact, I can think of a lot of amps that sort of make sense except that the "very important" you put on the Marshall plexi style crunch makes me a little hesitant to suggest.

The "little more gain when needed" and the important plexi crunch sort of pushes me over toward Rivera Bonehead, actually. A muscular, fiery amp with three big bad channels that do not really have that Rivera clean. But you would have several areas of crunch, and then the extra gain for sure. It's not less than 50 Watts, but you can switch it down. This is sort of the Rivera for people who don't need Rivera signature cleans. On the other hand, this amp weighs enough to make your eyes water just watching someone else lift it. I think they use old truck engine blocks for Rivera chassis some times.

The other possibility is something like Knucklehead, as you supposed. This will have a smooth and dark version of the plexi crunch which you might or might not accept as plexi crunch. Well worth playing. Just be careful not to confuse the Knucklehead with the gain monster Knucklehead II or the ultra-versatile Swiss army knife Knucklehead Reverb.

6. DestroyAllGuitars

DestroyAllGuitars Member

The TopHat Emplexador 50watt will give you JTM45 crunch to
    50watt hotrodded JMP sounds as good if not better than
    the originals. It's a lot of Marshalls in one box with no
    compromise on the tone. It's the one amp that will give
    you everything you listed that you are looking for. I've
    been recording professionally with them for several years
    now with incredible results. The sound of my Emplexadors
    has graced very many chart albums. These amps are top
    class all the way.

7. OOG

OOG Member

i had a talk with Paul C last night about his designs.
    one of the amps soumded like exactally what you described

8. fyler

fyler Member

+1 for a Flexi

9. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Low powered Germino.

I loves my masonette.

10. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

My 36 watt Reinhardt Titan nails the Marshall vibe to the roof.

11. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Maven Peal Ganesha :D

Tone for days, 1 to 100 wattage, sag like a Bluesbreaker or a Hiwatt and everything in between. You won't find a more versatile Plexi anywhere. :dude

12. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

13. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I have a collection of Marshalls ranging from 67-78, basically covering every Marshall tone that I liked.

I recently bought a Flexi, and it definetely does the Marshall thing better than any other clone I have played. I have had an Emplexador, (nice amp), a Blockhead 18 watt, and the Flexi does the job. The cleans are really great, and a pedal will get you all the overdriven tones you could need.

The Flexi will give you more versatility than most of the other amps listed here, the combining of tubes, and ability to mix them will only add to the fun value of the amp. I like a jtm 45 style Marshall mostly, and a nice set of kt66's in the amp will get you there.

As far as playing in an apartment, any amp that can play as loud or louder than a tv, will get you in trouble. I would stick to a POD, or some headphone based guitar product. I have a POD, and when its late, or just not the right time to fire up an amp, that does the job really well, I dont like it that much in front of an amp, and I have most of the amp sounds that they are trying to emulate.

This amp rocks, and so do many others that have been noted, have fun with your selection :dude

14. R_S_G_7

R_S_G_7 Member

thats for all the reply's.

I'm just gonna have to start hunting them down in stores and try them.

or if anyone has any clips that they could post or send me that would be cool.

All the clips of the flexi i have heard on the internet aren't really doing it for me. i'm gonna have to go try one in person.
    Could have just been the clips...

I need some real crunch on chords... so maybe what i'm looking for is a "hot-roded" plexi sound.

I guess the only thing to do is go out and try some amps

EDIT: i just found some in the clips section of this site that sound really good... now i really have to go try one .... maybe right now!

15. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

16. rooster

rooster Member

Call Jay Wolfe in Florida. He may have what you need...

rooster.

17. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

18. Glaze

Glaze Member

I have a Flexi and I agree with Relicula. Personally I do not use pedals with the Flexi because this amp has more than enough gain for me.

Mike

19. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

Mike its funny you just chimed in, I just found an old pick from Main St.Music, you sent me in something I bought from you way back when.

I remember you were the guy that turned me onto Victoria's when they first came out.

The Flexi is very cool, I am reluctant to post any of the cliche's that apply, just give one a try. A music store is a tough place to audition this amp, it has to be played loud enough to let it do its job. The good thing is the master volume, and gain knobs give you other options.

THD just came out with their own 4-12 cab, which would probably make this amp shine. I am using an old Marshall b/w cab, which doesnt make it suck :rolleyes:

20. tuna

tuna Member

+1 on the Invader, love mine