Vert' 2X12 cabs...Sound dispersion.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BobbyRay, Oct 12, 2006.

1. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

Since getting my Glaswerks amp with a vert 2X12, I've noticed something very pleasing at gigs.

The cabinet seems to really sound consistent in tone and volume from my spot on stage and as I travel around the room. This is a very pleasant suprise. At first I thought it was just a certain room, but it seems to be happening at every gig.

I was wondering if others have found this to be a trait of vertical cabinets in general. What's your take?

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I've got the Mesa version. I think it's MUCH less beamy than the 4x12, but it's still not perfect. I tend to lose highs as I move around the stage. Otherwise this thing just SLAYS (see recent 'Amp eating thread.)

3. BobbyRay

I shouldn't say that mine is perfectly consistent as I move around the room. As compared to other rigs I've used, it is waaay more cinsistent though. Most of my experience has been with combos, either 2X12, 3X10, or 4X10! There were a couple of 4X12's, and open 2x12's in there as well, but this is my first vertical cabinet.

Is the Mesa a closed back or something else? Mine has an oval shaped cutout in the back.

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

It's a closed back. Since it's designed for thier Dual Rec's, etc, they wanted to keep it focused and tight...which it is.

I flirted with the idea of cutting the back panel about 1/4 off on the side, so I could have the optional open back, but people here talked me out of it.

5. iMatt

iMatt Member

Is there any real difference between a 2x12 designed to stand vertically, or just turning a regular 2x12 on its end?

6. KLB

KLB Member

Vertical 2x12 with speakers in a line disperse very well on the horizontal plane, plus the top speaker is closer to your ear.

Audiophile speakers line up drivers this way for the same reason. Google D'Appolito and "line array".

Horizontal 2x12 have more bass because the speakers and cab baffle couple more with the floor.

I usually prefer the vertical arrangement unless outside, where the extra bass from the horizontal setup is often needed.

7. vinney57

vinney57 Member

Damn, I was going to say what KLB said...

8. vinney57

vinney57 Member

There's no difference, apart from where the feet are! Its simply that the plane of maximum dispersion is at right angles to a line between the speakers.

9. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I've almost always preferred the sound of a 2x12 cab vertically. That's one of the reasons I opted for a head with a separate 2x12 cab instead of a 2x12 combo. Even though my cab is built horizontallly I stand it on its side.

10. fyler

fyler Member

me too. i even moved the feet.

11. BobbyRay

Well that is good info. It's nice to know that there is some sound reasoning behind what I thought I was hearing. I'll have to do that google search you mentioned, and try to understand the scientific explanation of why, and how.

12. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Add some Beam Blockers or clones and the dispersion is even better especially the highs. ;)

13. jdps150

jdps150 Member

I recently got an Avatar premier 2x12.
    Added 4 feet to the side of the cab (used the holes for the corner guards) so I can use it either way depending on how much space I have to set up.

Hadn't had a chance to A/B the sound yet tho.