Vertex Dynamic Distortion - Anything Else Like It?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jimbugg, May 1, 2016.

1. ry-guy

ry-guy Member

Gut shots?

harrymaes likes this.
  2. harrymaes

harrymaes Member

If someone who owns the pedal could take a shot of the inside that would help to see the overall design. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  3. rsm

rsm Member

I'd like to announce my new digital modeler + MFX, I call it the RSM-100. I'm taking pre-orders now, these will be $2000 each, plus shipping.

[​IMG]

:banana

:sarcasm

4. highgeer

highgeer Silver Supporting Member

I have had one for a couple of weeks. I really do not want to like it, but I do. Cleans up like no pedal I have ever played, and really pulls off the natural amp OD tone of a tweed or AC30. The pedal feels good as well. I agree that the tone knob is limited if you are using a clean amp, but the that is not a big deal (most pedals function like that). I have used so many tweakable pedals that do not do anything well.

Mike

5. sutherland

sutherland Member

The SD-9 is a great pedal:
    - It retains the same warm/responsive character regardless to where the gain is set.
    - It is affordable.
    - Yet to find a "boutique" variation that is better than the original Maxon/Ibanez variations .

If you want something a tad more "open" but with a similar feel/response and gain range, consider a Rat. If a Rat is too limiting, consider a modified Rat. Honestly...just a buy Rat.

Hawx and tinkercity like this.
  6. sutherland

sutherland Member

Will it be made in Silicon Valley by a facility that has Military Contracts?!?

rsm likes this.
  7. Hawx

Hawx Member

So is the Dynamic Distortion actually a modded sd9, or a copied circuit with mods?

8. magnus02

magnus02 Member

Please post a gut shot.

9. qwerty

qwerty Member

No, thank you @malabarmusic! :) You stood up, and it looks like I'm not the only one who appreciates it! :)

I'm really pleased to hear you didn't suffer any consequences. Your experience stuck in my mind because in the same position I'd have been very worried and would probably have wanted to back down.

But you held firm, and we all benefited, so thank you :)

Now I'm going to take a leaf from your book and move on from this sadness :)

yeky83 likes this.
  10. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

Have you played an SD-9? If so, how would you say they differ?

11. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Totally agree with you. I've tried so many mod'd versions and none of them work out. Another pedal that's RAT based able to get different tones and close-ish to the SD-9 would be the Winford Drive by XTS. It's looser and more open sounding than the SD-9 but certainly lives in that Tweed/AC30 world and has incredible clean-up.

I still have not found a pedal that has the tightness and compressed yet open feel of the SD-9. Thing is, if you add mids to it -- everything that's awesome about the circuit just kinda goes away.

12. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

I've said it before... I'll say it agin... The SD-9's issue is volume. There isn't enough. With that being said, while the Dynamic Distortion is intriguing, past issues drive me away. The Caroline Guitar Company Wave Cannon II is in the same camp as the SD-9 only with more volume and control. And yes, once you start adding mids to the SD-9, the character changes and all that but I can't get around the lack of volume in both the Maxon and Ibanez SD9m versions. It would be my main drive otherwise.

Hawx likes this.
  13. brettmoor

brettmoor Supporting Member

I'm no SD-9 wizard by any means, but what about a transparent clean boost after the SD-9 to give it more volume without adding more gain? @tinkercity have you tried this?

tinkercity likes this.
  14. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

It's just more tap dancing and one more pedal I have to fit on the board. I'm sure there's a technical answer, but why can't the pedal just have more output?

15. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I just got a Wave Cannon MKii after looking for an SD9. I'm loving it so far.

Philippe_CGC and Braunzo like this.
  16. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

Been my favorite distortion pedal on the market since it's release.

Anacharsis and Philippe_CGC like this.
  17. Hawx

Hawx Member

I'd love to find something to fix this issue, at the moment I just have to build my entire rig around the pedal and set all my volumes to match. I can't really use alternatives, It's my favourite pedal.

18. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

Yeah, the big issue I was having was whenever I turned off my SD-9, my cleans would be ridiculously loud.

Philippe_CGC likes this.
  19. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

I lost money on the volume pedal (and so did everyone else who bought one). His marketing of that was also fraudulent but he didn't offer any refunds. His excuse for not offering refunds was along the lines of "well I said it was a modded boss and never claimed it was my own pedal design like the wah" ... and to him that apparently excused the blatantly false representations he made about what the mods actually were. backstory - https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/vertex-volume-pedal.1335149/ Less egregious in degree perhaps, but not in character or kind. If the boss enclosure weren't so distinctive, it might have played out exactly like the wah...

I used the volume pedal for a while and ultimately sold it when I got a Hilton - took a major beating on the resale. I don't lose any sleep over it, but I will say I find Mason's tenacity impressive in the worst kind of way.

20. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

That is probably the biggest lie perpetrated on Mason's behalf, that it's only about the wah and he made restitution. It began at the very beginning of Vertex and included every product he sold, and not everybody got restitution.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016