Vertex Plexitone mod...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fretbuzzed, Jan 22, 2012.

1. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Member

Howdy fellas, has anyone gone in on the cm plexitone vertex mods? If so, has it made a remarkable difference? Better or worse?

thanks..

2. Goofball

Goofball Member

I'm wondering this myself. I swear by the Plexitone so I'm intrigued
    that it could be tweaked into something better.

3. jms6668

jms6668 Member

I've weighing the option of doing this or just getting one of the better EQ to stack it with it. The PT is cool, but I abhor the way it mates with Blackface style amps. Which of course are backline regulars. I started experimenting with EQ's but my GE-7 helped, but I am sure there are better options..... Or I could do this $200 mod.

But the whole idea of modding a pedal that sells for $275 new seems really excessive.
    Makes me think I should buy a new pedal to use specifically for the times the PT doesn't work. Like a Suhr Riot? Costs the same as the mod.

4. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Member

I know what you mean. I don't want to pay more for a mod than i payed for the pedal, but the punch and clarity are really amazing. They did a fantastic job tuning this thing! I love it but would like to be able to tame the top end a bit. I play through a backline deville at a regular gig i do and thats probably not the best choice for this pedal, especially with those bright speakers. $200 sounds steep but if its a magical difference...

Does anybody have experience with both?

5. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Member

theres gotta be someone with deep pockets that got this mod done. anyone?

Has anybody heard a modded one in person?

6. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

the vertex plexitone comes in at 2:00ish

it's made a great pedal more manageable for my tastes. i can dial the extreme trebles and bass qualities of the pedals to compliment the rest of my rig more effectively.

7. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Had the Plexitone. Had the Riot (still do, at the moment). I'm running a blackface, and I suggest you try the cmatmods Brownie. Gives me the same flavor as the Plexi, but just sounds better through my amp. The Riot is a different beast, more modern and smooth, I guess. It's also got a fizzy artifact to the note that the Brownie doesn't. It's only $135, too, which is a STEAL in comparison.

8. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

I think I'm sending mine out for the mod this week

9. jms6668

jms6668 Member

Thanks for the info.

I thought it would have been the opposite. I heard the Brownie was fizzy... But nonetheless, this my point, for less than the mod, I can a pedal that can do what the PT can't do with a Blackface.... Still weighing it out.

10. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Yeah, exactly. $200 mod vs. $135 pedal that might do the trick for you. It did for me.

I did an A-B test with the Brownie and Riot (had already sold the Plexitone), both running 9v, and at similar settings the Riot always had a fizzy noise and artificial tone that the Brownie never did. It's funny, because before I did this, the Riot sounded fine and I didn't notice anything weird. Now, of course, the Riot is not trying to nail that "brown sound" quite like the Brownie is, so it's a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison, but personally I just prefer what the Brownie does and the quality of the tone. I had a honeymoon period with the Plexitone, because I'd never had a good plexi-type pedal before, but it wore off when I realized the tone was a little thin and lacking on stage. I'm sure the Vertex mod is great, and probably fixes most issues, but I just couldn't justify $200 for "maybe". Plus, the Brownie can run anywhere from 9v to 18V, AND Chad Matthews supplies higher gain transistors right in the pedal for you to swap out!

Also, don't forget that Carl Martin is coming out with their new single-channel Plexitone, which is supposed to have some improvements. I'm certainly gonna be checking that out.

11. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Member

I have and love the brownie. Its my goto pedal with an fd2.

I bought the plexitone and the punch and clarity are so impressive its almost annoying. This thing even has the qualities of a jmp mv type amp that annoy me. I think it the closest marshall type pedal ive played and ive spent time with most of them.

The brownie is a really great pedal but theyre not the same to me , both in tone and feel and again i love the brownie and recommend it all over tgp.

I geuss im looking for someone to help me justify spending the $$ for the little bit of difference i may get out of it. Im dying to compare these in person.. Im gonna go for it...ill post when i get it..

12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Nope the brownie is anything but fizzy. Beautiful amp like texture with a natural decay. The Riot like all guvnor based pedals (Crunchbox too) has a fizzly decay.

13. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I agree.

I was a big brownie fan for several years. Eventually the lack of mids sent it packing. Just didn't cut enough in a full band mix. Course there is a a DIY contour mod availble but I never did it.

Another consideration is the Wampler Pinnacle II which is basically a Brownie with an active EQ section. The only other pedal besides the PT on my short list is the Dyna red distortion. Another great marshall in a can.

Now the thing with the plexitone is the amazing punch, clarity and string definition. Closest to a real marshall of ANY pedal I've heard. Its almost certainly due to its 24V power supply which gives the pedal unmatched headroom.

The new small plexitone should be out around easter and should street for ~ $150 hopefully. It will have a bit more mids and less bass and treble according to the designer who is a TGP'er. It will also run using a 9v adapter and then be bumped to +/- 12v internally.

14. kstrat62

kstrat62 Member

I've only played my PT with BF-type amps and it sounds great! I will admit at home it sounds kind of bright and "untamed", but in a band setting I love this thing! I haven't played it much over the last year since I'm only playing P&W now, but if my old band needs me to fill in, I'll have the PT on my board and it will get used about 70% of the night.

15. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I had no issues with the PT with the band, as it did cut through and sit in the mix pretty well. Space became an issue on the board, though. I guess that's why the single-channel version is coming out.

Has anyone A-B'd the Plexi and the Brownie, live and at home?

16. kstrat62

kstrat62 Member

^ At home, but not live. It held it's own pretty well at home, but the PT makes the Brownie sound thin and weak(which it isn't!) it just has so much more GIRTH and KARRANG! The way I had the Brownie EQ'd to keep up with the PT I don't think it would cut very well live.

17. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Member

I have both on my board and an fd2. The plexitone sounds gigantic and bold. very clear. The brownie is fun too but different. its more pedal like. I cant describe the differences without sounding like im downing the brownie but im not. Its a very marshally pedal with great response and its very easy to play. The plexitone is just like a JMP in tone and clarity.. No hiding behind the gain of this pedal...

18. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Member

And the boost is rediculous. Its friggin loud!

19. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

That can be easily tamed by swapping a smaller value for the boost pot. In fact newer PT's have this mod from the factory. Email CM and they will tell you what pot type and value to use.

I'll give a comparison with the Brownie a shot:

The brownie is a more compressed, smoother sounding pedal than The PT. If you want liquid leads ala VH the brownie is for you. Pinnacle II gets the same review except the EQ on the Pinnacle makes it more versatile than the Brownie. It'll work in more rigs.

The PT is more dynamic. If you want an accurate Marshall in a box with razor sharp attack, punchy crunch and kerrang the PT does this like no other. IMHO.

20. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Member

Great comparison. Well said..

i wouldn't actually tame the boost. I like it like it is. when i said it was ridiculous i meant it in a good way.