Vertex Volume Pedal

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemesser

Anyone out there with experience with one of these? I would love to hear about it. Seems to be a big step in the right direction for a passive volume pedal.

chops612

Pretty much an EB with a sliding fader vs rotary pot. The only thing to remove is the PCB and ribbon cable assembly, which shouldn't affect anything anyways. Maybe he puts in a new pot with a better log curve or tweaks it with a taper resistor?

joemesser

I gave up on volume pedals because of the tone suck and lack of transparency. How much of these problems does Vertex fix? Would love to hear from those in the knows.

les

Platinum Supporting Member
I have one... great volume pedal, no tone suck... Mason's mod's are great..

slopeshoulder

I have one too.The feel, taper, and sound are the best I've had, and I've had several (Morley, EB's, Mission, Boss).

ButchR

Komet Player
Double Platinum Member
I love mine. It's a modded Boss pedal. No tone suck. Works great on my board.

ZepFuzz05

Hopefully this doesn't derail things, but I'm really curious. .

It seems like a great product, but how does he possibly create a passive unit without any effect on frequency response? If he's using an extremely high pot value (1 meg or more), it would affect the sweep/taper of the pedal in a negative way, no? It's intriguing to me how he manages to make it work. . .

x-ray specs

It seems like a great product, but how does he possibly create a passive unit without any effect on frequency response? If he's using an extremely high pot value (1 meg or more), it would affect the sweep/taper of the pedal in a negative way, no? It's intriguing to me how he manages to make it work. . .

In the manual it says the pedal has a 250k pot. https://www.vertexeffects.com/docs/manuals/VolumeMono.pdf

I'm considering getting a vetex when (if) my dvp3 fails again.

slopeshoulder

To clear up the usual TGP fact distortotron:
- it is not a modded ernie ball
- it is not a modded boss, it is a GUTTED boss, saving only the shell.
- it has NO tone suck
- the throw and feel are fabulous.

I just love when people who know nothing come on with with BS.

Check out the Landau demo, and check out the boost and expression demo.

slopeshoulder

It seems like a great product, but how does he possibly create a passive unit without any effect on frequency response? It's intriguing to me how he manages to make it work. . .

It's intriguing to me too. Mason got an electrical engineering degree at U Cal Berkeley, and finished a year early. He's smart. He's better than the rest. Mere mortals don't understand.And he has no obligation to share. Although he isn't secretive.
Look for Vertex to do a lot of game changing work.

zoooombiex

- it has NO tone suck

Not to be too picky, but it is a "modded" BOSS. There are two Boss circuit boards inside mine. One (the one with the jacks) looks stock, though I can't see the backside to confirm. The other (on the pot) has epoxy on one side and is presumably modded. So it's not just the shell. (I can't tell if the pot was changed.)

That's all bit beside the point as to how it sounds/works...

ButchR

Komet Player
Double Platinum Member
- it has NO tone suck

I said that it was a modded Boss pedal. I'm sorry that I offended you with that remark. Don't pay any attention to me! As your post states, I know nothing and come on with BS.

zoooombiex

- it has NO tone suck

Not to be too picky, but it is a "modded" BOSS. There are two Boss circuit boards inside mine. One (the one with the jacks) looks stock, though I can't see the backside to confirm. The other (on the pot) has epoxy on one side and is presumably modded. So it's not just the shell. (I can't tell if the pot was changed.)

That's all bit beside the point as to how it sounds/works...

As a follow up on this - I poked around some more in the Vertex and looked around online at some stock 500L pics/videos.

The board with the i/o jacks appears to be stock on both sides:

P7250056_zpsae0dd28c.jpg

P7250057_zpsc2782449.jpg

With regard to the board with the main volume pot - there is goop on one side, but there doesn't appear to be any mod to this board. All the board has are some jumpers and the dual volume pot. Based on what I could see online, that is stock, and if so the goop would be purely cosmetic.

EDIT: see updated info here - https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/18327328&postcount=163

P7250059_zps935d2102.jpg

P7250058_zps76df1d41.jpg

P7250060_zps27f3f78c.jpg

The obvious mod in the Vertex is that Mason disconnects and discards the third circuit board that holds the pot on the side for the volume trim and tuner out. That's a very simple mod - maybe 5 minutes of work start to finish.

For what it's worth, the current Vertex site and manual don't really say much about the mods other than that Vertex:

completely removes all unnecessary components affecting the purity of the guitar signal, and then re-wires the unit to only its essential components. This results in a completely transformed pot taper, a more "open" and dynamic sweep, and superior interaction between the guitar(s), pedal(s), and amplifier(s)."

I'm not sure there is any "re-wiring" or that the pot taper has changed. But it doesn't really provide any detail as to any specific changes. As reflected in this thread, there is obviously some confusion about what exactly the mods are from a stock pedal. Based on what I can see, removing the extra board with the tuner out and the volume trim are the only mods. But anyone (including Mason) is welcome to chime in if that is incorrect and I overlooked anything.

Note that some of the ads for the Vertex volume pedal are clearly incorrect. These two:
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Vertex_Introduces_New_Pedals and
http://www.lavintagegear.com/vertex.htm
both say the pedal uses "Premium Components" and that Mason "re-wires the potentiometer to the input and output jacks with the highest quality ribbon wire." I don't see any evidence that anything was re-wired. And as to the specific ribbon wire, the Vertex uses "Hung Fu" wire, and I can't verify whether or not that is stock.

EDIT: ribbon cable is stock - https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/18326443&postcount=146

P7250061_zps9c301306.jpg

Last edited:

Glitch Magnet

Those gut shots appear to be of the low-Z stereo unit, which has a 25k ohm pot. That's gonna suck tone if you connect it directly to the guitar. Should work fine after a buffer though.

As for the mono hi-Z model, 250k is still 250k no matter what, which is a resistive load on your pickups, so it has the same potential for sucking tone as any other 250k volume pedal. I'm not saying it's not an excellent pedal. I'm just saying it still presents a load on your pickups. But, put it after any active or buffered pedal, and that point is moot.

Not here to argue with a genius electrical engineer. Just saying. For the record, the Vertex Website does say "the most transparent passive volume pedal available." So, he's not claiming it's anything it's not. A well-designed active VP still has the potential to be more transparent and completely free from tone-suck under all circumstances.

As for the second post, I was intrigued to read about this having a sliding fader, but that appears to be incorrect. That is a rotary pot in the gut shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom