Vertical 212 Cabinet source (Or: Is it fine to turn a horizontal sideways)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ledzep618, Jan 31, 2012.

1. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

So the band has some new recording digs, and we have a nice isolation set up for mic'ing individual amps without bleed through from the other channels, unfortunately my 212 cab just barely doesn't fit into its area when set horizontally.

Does anyone make unloaded cabs designed to be vertical? I know Mojotones makes a couple vertically oriented Marshall Style cabs, but they are slightly oversized, so I'd be right back where I started.

Also, is there any drawback to just turning a horizontal cab on its side? I know the speakers are oriented in a diagonal in most vertical cabs, as opposed to a straight up and down line, as with a horizontal cab turned sideways. Does this have any impact on sound?

For the past two sessions I have just turned my Avatar cab on it's side, but I can't do that for much longer b/c my amp head is bigger than the cab turned over and I am realllllyyyy worried that my $2500 dollar head is gonna come crashing off b/c of vibrations and such with it placed so precariously.

2. msowl61

msowl61 Member

I've been looking for an answer to this too. From what I can tell it would be a different sound dispersion-sound in a vertical beam instead of horizontal-which I would think would allow you to hear yourself better but less dispersion across the stage. Only other thing I can think of(someone please tell me if I'm wrong) would be less of the cab on the ground/stage which I would think would lead to less coupling(?) and less bass response. Like I said I'm quite curious to this as well so hopefully someone with more experience can step in here...

3. flywheel

flywheel Member

Bludotone makes a vertical.I have been thinking about the 3d cabs from Forte.They make a vertical 2-12 that vents from the sides instead of the back.It might be worth checkin

4. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

Absolutly no drawback to setting a 2-12 in a vertical position,,except if you don't like the looks of the head overlapping the cab,,if it does.
    The vertical alignment of the speakers serves to spread the sound in a horizontal pattern,,much better for an audience.