• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Vertical 2x12"s Sound Much Better than Horizontal 2x12"s

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I've always heard that horizontal 2x12"s beam treble terribly -- certainly worse than 1x12"s. If there's one thing I hate, it's that's treble beam. I've tried various ways to fix it (foam doughnut, beam blocker), but nothing really works well.

Then I thought that if horizontal 2x12"s are worse than 1x12"s, and if vertical line arrays are designed to get better horizontal sound coverage, it's logical to assume that turning the 2x12" vertically would simulate (to some degree) the line array effect, and would reduce the beam to some degree.

Well, it makes a huge difference! My tone changes minimally moving to any point in my room -- even sitting directly in front of the cab. The added benefit is with the cab in this vertical position, I'll have a speaker closer to my head at gigs, without getting killed by the treble beam (as I did when tilting cabs back).

I just ordered some new feet to mount on the side of the cabinet, so I can use it this way at gigs. But now I have a new problem: my amp head doesn't fit on the (new) top of the cab. I also ordered an extra set of feet to mount on the top of the cab, on which the head will balance, but it's a bit precarious.

Thoughts, or experience with this?

Joe

gstan

Or just measure and put a second set of feet on the bottom of the head so that it will sit properly on the cab.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
Wait until you discover how much better your head sounds standing on one end. It'll also fit on top of any cabinet in that orientation.

Tone Loco

Gold Supporting Member
I've always heard that horizontal 2x12"s beam treble terribly -- certainly worse than 1x12"s. If there's one thing I hate, it's that's treble beam. I've tried various ways to fix it (foam doughnut, beam blocker), but nothing really works well.

Then I thought that if horizontal 2x12"s are worse than 1x12"s, and if vertical line arrays are designed to get better horizontal sound coverage, it's logical to assume that turning the 2x12" vertically would simulate (to some degree) the line array effect, and would reduce the beam to some degree.

Well, it makes a huge difference! My tone changes minimally moving to any point in my room -- even sitting directly in front of the cab. The added benefit is with the cab in this vertical position, I'll have a speaker closer to my head at gigs, without getting killed by the treble beam (as I did when tilting cabs back).

I just ordered some new feet to mount on the side of the cabinet, so I can use it this way at gigs. But now I have a new problem: my amp head doesn't fit on the (new) top of the cab. I also ordered an extra set of feet to mount on the top of the cab, on which the head will balance, but it's a bit precarious.

Thoughts, or experience with this?

Joe
This is my only complaint with vertical 2x12s. Some amps - Carol Ann for one, Redplate for another, old boogie Mark Ns, etc, are nice and compact and fit perfectly on my 21" wide cab. But something like a DSL or VHT makes a giant T just waiting to be dumped over.

I've taken to putting my heads (on top of a 2 space rack with a voltage regulator) on an amp stand by me on the side of the stage with a long speaker cable back to the cab when possible. Makes it easier to tweak them too.

If you want to hear it even better you might want to try one of the vertical ones with an angled top, similar to the marshall 1960A cabs. Mesa makes (made?) one.

riffmeister

I like vertical 2x12's. (I have two)

But I'm not following your discussion at all. (line array?)

riffmeister

Interesting article!

Not sure it is applicable to a guitar cab, but for sure I do like to have one speaker away from the floor and closer to my ear so I can hear it better. A horizontal 2x12 will have more coupling to the floor which may or may not be a good thing for the sound you are trying to achieve.

Adamclayton

Well it all depends on what cabinets your talking about. Some vertical cabs sound better I guess. But you gotta think even moving your head just a couple inches changes the sound. I myself like Mesa horizontal 2x12's and 4x12's. They have a wide open range and I set my amps up to sound good from about 10 feet away off to side a hair. It's all personal preference. What about a spinning 2x12 cab kinda like Tommy Lee's drum set?

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Only tried 2 vertical 212 cabs, a Marshall 2556AV (which I still have) and a Mesa halfback metal grill. While both vertical 212 cabs were nice, I generally prefer horrizontal 212 cabs. Both the vertical 212 cabs were 'slant' cabs, so I am sure that makes a difference

I will often run my horizontal 212 on their side. I like that I can run them either way. For horrizontal mounting I like the additional coupling to the floor and bass response. When I turn them on their side in a vertical fashion, I like the sound dispersion better.

KJP1990

I run the 2X12 Cab that I built from scratch vertical. It sound awesome plus my lunchbox Egnater 15 sits on top!

kak1154

I ordered a slant vertical 2x12 cab from Lopoline that is working out awesome. Casters and handles just like a 4x12, but it's about half the size/weight, so it's actually really easy to transport. It puts the amp up where I can turn the knobs, and gets the sound up to my ears so I can hear myself. Beats any other cab option out there, imo.

rburkard

Platinum Supporting Member
3rd Power amps offer a solution. Their 3x12 cab has plenty of space on top for an amp, it is lighter and smaller than a 4x12 but sounds as big. The other big benefit is the lack of the typical beaming that 4x12 and 2x12 cabs are so notoriously known for. The three 12" speakers arranged in a triangular pattern work more like a 36" speaker that behaves like a single 12" speaker.
Rene

I think a 2x12 diagonal loading is best of both worlds. I've got a Stage Craft designed that way and it sounds huge, and all 4 feet of my Marshall 100W head sits nicely on top of the cab even though the amp itself is longer.

908SSP

I think vertical 2x12s have better dispersion of sound. The line array speaker cabs are seen at nearly every live venue these days it does work and works for guitar speakers as well.

Last edited:

Trending Topics