Vertical 2x12 Stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trpullen, Jan 8, 2008.

1. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

I have been wanting to do the 212 Vertical stack thing for a while now. Don't get me wrong, I love the crap out of my Orange Rockerverb and PPC212 but am wanting something a bit more "Mayer-esque". Now, strangely enough, he is not the driving force behind my vertical idea but a great example of what I am thinking. I really dig the tones he is pulling out these days but don't have the coin to do the TR solution (sorry to all the JM haters out there).

What gets me in the ballpark of this rig for the $1-1.5 mark. I will likely get a Lopoline or Avatar cab built for this if needed. What head do you throw on on top of this cab? THD Univalve with 6L6s? Something from Frenzel? I need something that will love my ESP Vintage with Duncan SSL-1s.

2. TRW

TRW Member

Hmmm I don't think Mayer's tone has 'that' much to do with the vert 2x12s but I like them all the same.

For $1.5k I would get the Ceriatone Overtone Special and build a vertical 2x12 for it...load it with Jensen Neos and make sure it is oval backed semi open....port is quite big. I think 100 sqr."

May as well nick the Two-Rock dimensions...make sure the sides are solid and thick.

-T

3. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

the univalve and the THD 2-12 cab are very nice together and there are some vaguely ODS type overdrive tones in there. if U buy used (and there is no reason not to), U should come in well within Ur budget.

i suspect that the more affordable and more 'clonish' amps (the ceriatone and d'lite) would kill Ur budget.

i have a two-rock signature 2-12 cab that i got specifically for my ODS. compared to the THD, the T-R is a bit tighter sounding and has more focus and will play very, very loud before things start and collapse. the THD is no slouch and actually sounds a bit more lively and bigger than the T-R. voiced perfectly for the univalve.

4. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member

I think I worded that whole thing wrong. They are kinda two different thoughts. I like the vertical stack and have for years. JM recently reminded me that I have dug that look and, BTW, his tone is sweet. Can I get both in one package without resorting to shakin' down the neighbors for cash. ;)

5. TRW

TRW Member

Hey that's cool - I wasn't implying it wasn't a good idea! I agree on the look thing, never been a fan of low/wide amps.

If you build a cab I reckon you could do one for relatively cheap. $300 maybe?

Depends on how good your woodworking skills are?

Next year I fancy doing the very set-up I mentioned above. Good Luck. Apparently the Ceriatone ODS is $1100 without a head cabinet...so it would be a push to hit $1.5k...but $2k should do it. And that would be great!

-T