Verve guitarist Nick McCabe talks essential pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dverna, Jan 4, 2008.

1. dverna

dverna Member

2. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

sonic soup, i love it

3. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i really dig nick mccabe's work with the verve. to me, he was the "sound" of the verve and when he left they just didn't sound as good IMO. i saw them live a few times with hiim and once without him. when they toured without him, they had another guitarist as well as a pedal steel player and they still didn't sound anywhere near as full as when they had nick mccabe by himself....

IMO, he's one of the few guitarists that uses delay on about everything and it doesn't sound overdone or generic... any info on what exact pedals he's currently using? i always noticed a space echo or two when i've seen them, but could see never see his pedalboard....

4. Teahead

Teahead Member

Saw Nick with the Verve just before Christmas and he changed guitars for every song into a Mesa Roadking head and 4x12. His clean and overdriven sounds were both outstanding, but then you'd expect that from four grand's worth of amp I suppose.

Effects-wise, there was definitely an echoplex rack looper and a DL-4 and I've heard he's using a TC Nova for the bulk of his delay sounds, where the DL-4 is used for oscillations and general mayhem, I definitely heard the filter echo settings once or twice. A pic I saw had a Lovetone Big Cheese at his feet too, don't know if he's using it live though.

5. Pags

Pags Supporting Member

He's great, his guitar paints sonic-soundscapes that really gave the Verve their own sound during the brit-pop era. A Northern Soul is top notch album.

6. dverna

dverna Member

As much as I love their debut, A Storm In Heaven, for it's psychedelic almost ambient rock sound, and Urban Hymns for the epic melodies and accessiblity -- I always go back to A Northern Soul as my favorite Verve album. It was the first one I listened to, and to me it's one of the best albums period. I am so fired up they are reunited, touring, and recording. Would love to hear that they will do a some sort of U.S. tour, no matter how small.

Recent photos taken by a fan at the UK gigs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

Nick McCabe is incredible. I heard a quote from some painter or artist that goes something like, "art is the way in which someone transcends limitations with creativity," and I think his guitar work its the tangible embodiment of that statement. Brilliant.

8. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

One of my very favourite guitarists...him and Johnny Marr, and many others.

amorica likes this.
  9. JLee

JLee Member

Love A Storm In Heaven!! Sonic soup for sure! Always hooks me in from the start with that monstrous wash of guitar.

10. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    great links and pics.... always wanted to know his exact gear....

11. dverna

dverna Member

yeah I am a huge fan. grateful that he has become more vocal since they reunited and willing to share all of this info. hoping for a u.s. tour soon....