Very basic OD 808 modding question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stompbox, Jul 27, 2006.

1. stompbox

stompbox Member

I have a stock Maxon OD-808 reissue. Now, i am new to all this Analogman and others modding tubescreamers and such. Now, i read on AM's site that they mod TSs to be 808s. Since mine is a RI of the 808 is there any advantage at all to have it modded? Do i basically own what AM mods other pedals to be?

Thanks!

2. Franklin

Franklin Member

I think the Maxon OD-808 is not true bypass. That would be one of the mods. He also does a "Silver" mod to them.

I don't think it is a true 808 reissue, but a TS9 or TS10 circuit. I know that AM will upgrade some of the cheaper components, and the "silver" mod also brings the highs and lows a little more to even out the big mid hump. Is it worth it? Depends on you, your ear and your wallet!

Do you play out?

Does it sound good to you now?

I have his "Silver modded" Boss SD1, I love it! It blows the stock one out of the water. I even bought a SD1 to mod myself. I tried many mods (using sockets so I can quickly change the components in/out) and none of the combinations I tried sound as good as his. He knows his stuff!

3. stompbox

stompbox Member

Thanks, it sounds good enough to me now, i was just wondering if i was missing out on something big.

I only play and record at home now, i do not have the time to gig anymore unfortunately.

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hey dude,

first rule: if it ain't broke, don't fix it

5. stompbox

stompbox Member

Yeah but remember the first time you played a tube amp? You sat back and said, "How could i have lived without such a great thing?"

I agree with the old addage if it ain't broke.... But i just wondered if it was a night and day difference.

6. dosmun

dosmun Member

No :)

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

It's not apples and oranges.

It's more like Florida oranges and Naval oranges. Similar taste and texture, but I like one more than the other. :)

8. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

And what does the "silver mod" entail?

and is it something easily done?

and etc with other like mods?

9. dosmun

dosmun Member

Most mods are fairly easy if you are good at that type of thing. You could turn it into a Landgraff DO for under $10.

10. Franklin

Franklin Member

..or a Boss SD1 by adding one diode.

Check out AnalogMan's site for more info