VERY basic question on OD's:

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by doublee, May 19, 2008.

1. doublee

doublee Member

Say if one has various sized amps to produce various levels of natural overdrive, then is there a usefulness for OD pedals? In my case test driving a Tim. I cant yet quite dial in unity, very close but it seems to decrease the nice tone I already have by a very tiny bit. I am a clean cut sort of country player so am not looking for any hairy effect that i cant get from my Fenders already.. clue me in if I am missing something,

2. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I don't think you're missing something...
    I have always preferred amps on the edge to boxes.
    Some boxes are "scooped" and some are "humped" so that has a LOT to do w/ it; many sound "boxy" though, especially if you have a nice Fendery sound already happening.
    Are you just trying to get louder for leads?
    (I much prefer the overdrive > amp sound for harder-edge rock sounds.)

3. doublee

doublee Member

^
    If i need to get louder for leads I use a Switchbone (or whatever you prefer) to double in another smaller Fender turned up more (in this case a Champ with a DR or Vibrolux), it sounds great and something I cant quite get with the Tim, maybe i dont have the knobs quite right. Maybe I am suggesting getting an inexpensive silverface Champ for example as a better overdrive option....and you can tweak the tubes/speaker in it...

4. improv4

improv4 Member

If you're running the two amps, 1 for clean and a 2nd for leads, then you already have a great solution. I use my dirt pedals to push my amp into breaking up, that way I'm not lugging around two amps; but, if you're used to a 2 amp setup it may hard to find a pedal that does the same.
    I use my OCD sometimes without the distortion turned up at all, only the volume is up to goose the amp; that works beautifully.
    Good luck on your search.

5. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

Sounds like you want a clean boost and not an OD. Something like the RC boost or the little catalinbread pepper thing (can't remember what it's called ...)

6. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

Super Chili Picoso.

7. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

in your current state, no, you've got covered what you need. I don't think you are missing a thing. Multi amp setups are ideal if you've got the room for it and ability to carry it and that's what you want. You can't get more natural and true to life than the real thing. You will have a harder time finding something that works with everything than you will probably playing with what you've got.

The only thing I'd think about would be a boost but that would be basically like a loudness button for lower volumes, you don't need it if you get everything to proper volume and EQ shape.

8. Rhizopus

Rhizopus Member

you definitely missing something.
    OD pedals are like bags and shoes to ladies. We can never have too many of it :D
    And just like our ladies, some of us prefer the boutique product.

OK, on serious note. The idea of having OD in the first place is to drive the amp so it break up faster. If your amp already breaking up they way you want it, anytime you need it, then you don't need any OD.

9. pbone

pbone Member

Well, then again, consider that there are two kinds of OD's: one to drive an amp into tube overdrive, and another to simulate the sound of an overdrive amp.

10. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I thought ODs emulate the breakup of a pushed amp while Boosters actually push the amp?!

11. pbone

pbone Member

Some do, some don't.

12. improv4

improv4 Member

Both pedals will push the amp; an overdrive certainly colors the signal more than a buffer.
    , Peace

13. sandman

sandman Member

If you don't like the Tim I doubt you'll find many ODs that don't 'decrease your nice tone'. Search around for some settings maybe...or put volume at around 2 o'clock and all other all the way CCW. It shouldn't alter your tone at all on that setting...start from there and see what happens.

Or get a clean boost like Super Chili Picoso etc.

have fun.

14. funkycam

funkycam Member

there is also the possiblity that the tone a player wants is a combination of a pedal & an amp... eg fuzzface + marshall.

the really nice thing about clean headroom in the amp & using pedals for dirt is you have great flexibility in terms of the volume you play at, volume boosts for solos & use of modulation/ delays/reverbs.