Very Close to Going With a Boss BR-600

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Josh O, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

I haven't had a chance to fiddle with one first hand but from everything I've read in this forum and a demo video, this may be just what I need to do some rough home recording. I've given up on computer recording, I tried going the cheap way, it hasn't worked out plus I don't want to make my computer a dedicated DAW so I think running the line out of my mixer into the BR-600 may be the way to go for me. I doubt I'll take advantage of the built in COSM stuff but I like the fact it has alot of built in drum presets (altough I do already have a Boss DR-3 for that) and the bass simulator sounded pretty convincing in the Boss demo video.

Out of curiosity, for those who have one, how do the built in drum presets match up to what is in the Boss DR-3?

2. kselbee

kselbee Member

I don't have any experience with the DR3, but if you do some searching you'll find several of my posts where I talk about the 600 and some links to some mp3s (I'm at work and don't have the link handy or I'd post it here). I think the drums are very usable on the 600 and I'm very happy with the results I get overall. Personally, the bass simulator has a bit too much latency for it to be usable for me, but I bought a bass which I run direct using COSM and it sounds great. The onboard mics are suprisingly good and running an SM57 directly in gets some good results too. Overall, after about a year, I'm still thrilled with the BR600 and I'm more productive than I've ever been!

3. Josh O

Josh O Member

I did pick up a BR-600 last night at GC and although it is a trick little unit, I managed to get through my Cakewalk woes and won't really need it. Definetely seemed like a cool little device packed to the gills with features for the price.

4. kselbee

kselbee Member

Congrats... I think you'll really love it. It's tiny but lots of features and gets nice results!

5. 229someday

229someday Member

As far as the drum sounds go, supposedly later this month Boss is releasing a drum editor upgrade for the BR-900CD that will allow you to visually program beats from your computer. I think it's called a "graphical drum editor". It will be standard on that model, but the software is supposed to be compatible with the BR-600 too. Here's a link to where I read about it.

http://www.rolandcorp.com.au/default.aspx?prd=904

According to Boss: "The original BR-900CD was equipped with a built-in drum machine. Version 2 has a virtual drummer onboard as well, but with an advantage: a downloadable graphical Rhythm Editor software for creating rhythm pattern and arrangements visually via Mac or PC. It’s the best of both worlds. Notes: Graphical Rhythm Editor software available via free download at www.bosscorp.co.jp. It is not bundled with the BR-900CD. Editor software is also compatible with BR-600."