Very colored single channel pre

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by vicdeluca71, Mar 3, 2012.

1. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

I'm replacing my older Duet for a new one.I also own a Grace 101 and from what I gather the latest Duet's pre's are very transparent,rendering the Grace redundant...Looking for a nice contrast from the Duet,been looking at Great River,GAP,Daking,Summit,UA.As of now I'm leaning (heavily) towards the UA Solo 610.
    What do ya guys think?
    Vic

2. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

Not unusable, but mushy to my ears. The association(s) you have regarding tubes do not apply to mic pres.

3. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

As you can see from my post I could care less if the pre has a tube or not...So,you think the UA is "mushy"? What do you recommend?

4. suckamc

suckamc Member

Golden Age Pre 73: Lots of color, lots of money left over.

5. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

What's your budget? If you want something with a bit of flavor, I think that's pretty easy to find. The Great River would be great. API 512 would be smoking too in a different, growl-ier way. BAE 1073 is ultra fabulous as are the new AMS Neve 1073 units. I don't know how colored people think the Daking is though - I have no personal experience with it though; I'm just remembering things I've read about it. Chandler TG2 is great for guitar/drums if you need two channel.

6. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

I use API (flavors) for high-gain stuff, (API's are generally punchier than Neves)

I use Neve (flavors) for clean to mid gain. Neves generally soften transients just a bit; a good tool to have available for digital recording.

Tele into a Matchless or Fender? Neve

LP into a gained up Marshall or Mesa? API

7. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

the daking is very dark sounding. it seems to work well with drums, but other than that, mine gets very little use.

8. Wolf_Daddy

Wolf_Daddy Member

I agree! I've heard many different opinions on this unit, but I've owned two and love 'em. If you buy used, they are an absolute steal.

Now, some people dislike them presumably for the low price and lack of a UA logo on them, but as a self-proclaimed preamp snob I feel that it is better than could be expected at its price point. To upgrade it would cost me about 2.5X what I paid for the Golden Age.

That being said, if I ran a studio I'd have a broader selection.

9. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

Chandler TG2 as noted, or the API.

If you can find one, a racked Tele V72 or V672 is a great color, as is a Langevin AM16.

10. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

Thanks for the input guys,much appreciated....Basically what I'm looking for is a big,dark but VERY detailed sound,am I asking too much ?

Btw,I mostly record singer songwriter stuff-A Guitar,electric,bass,banjo,and lots of vocals.

11. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Big dark and very detailed? Sounds like a neve sort of flavour...look at the vintech's.

12. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

Agreed. Although the Brent Averill MPF would get my ultimate vote. The BAE neve variants always sounded a bit "tougher" than the other Neve clones I owned.

PS spending the extra $350 for the MPF (filter) is well worth it. Sometimes you don't want that big low mid on every track.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  13. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

For another perspective, I love the UA 610 mic preamp. For me, it pretty much defines big, dark and very detailed.

I especially like it on male vocals. It's among my two very favorite mic preamps, the other being the focusrite Red 7, that I like for female vocals. Yes, I've tried, and own, used or owned the others suggested. And my old partner's got a rack of the vintage Neve 1073s that I've used a million times and everyone's cloned. Don't like them as much, maybe their age has made them a bit splatty sounding.

I like the 610 for its roundness and ability to translate power (the tube compression probably helps). And for that reason, it's great on guitars for me as well, as are the APIs.

I like the Red 7 for its ability to be open and clear, with a nice silky sheen; of course, it's the ISA preamp that Rupert Neve designed when he was with Focusrite, so that's no surprise.

14. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Just for a bit more perspective on the 610, seeing as that's another one i want to get sometime in the near future, how "dark" is it? I.e. the main mic's i use for vocals are the md421 and the sm7b, is it dark to the extent that you would generally pair it with a slightly brighter mic (i.e. condenser or dynamic with an extended top end), or is it more of a subtle shading/smoothing over that plays nice with most mic's?

I own the UA710 right now, and that's a pretty bright pre, the tube side is supposedly "modern" sounding, and other than tracking bass DI or micing acoustic guitar, it's pretty overrated, however the solidstate side is pretty nice, sometimes i'll give it a little bit of a blend...

15. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

This is where I got the inspiration for the 610.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl-WCsP3pZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AkW0eMaJWw

I understand that this is using a Fathead (have one) and a la-610.Not sure if the Solo 610 would be the same,which do you use?

16. Luke V

Luke V Member

Love my Great River pre it can get nice and phat when driven hard.

17. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Same here.

18. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    ... and another lack of love post for the 610. only preamp i ever ordered without first trying and was so unknocked out by it that it was sent back withih a week. blech! no clarity, plenty of mush. fwiw, the manley pre does what i was expecting the 610 to do...

19. meterman

meterman Member

the Great River is very versatile with some Neve type characteristics to the sound but reportedly more flexible. I have a Great River and love it, never used a real Neve though...single channel unit is nice and not too expensive but I wanted to record my acoustic guitar with 2 mics and ended up upgrading to the 2 channel rack mount version

20. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

Looks like the 610 is a love/hate type of pre,interesting.....