Very faint chimey sound from speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Timinator, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Timinator

Timinator Supporting Member

I have a Goodsell 17 that when I hit about any note at low/bedroom volumes I can hear a faint metalic-chimey sound coming from the speaker. It's very similar to the sound a blown light bulb makes when you shake it next to your ear. The amp/speaker sounds fine other than this sound. At louder playing volumes it can't be heard. Any ideas? Thanks, Tim

2. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

It's probably a tube, I would start with the preamp tubes if you have any extra. If you don't have any extra tubes to try you could try swapping positions if they are all 12ax7's. The first stage will pickup a lot more microphonics than the later stages but even still could be that you have a microphonic el84.

3. Lil'Strat

Lil'Strat Member

More than likely it is a tube, and if you got an Electro-Harmonix 5Y3 rectifier it will definitely be that one - I had to stop using them because they ALL rattled right out of the box. JJ 12AX7s were bad to do the same thing, but every now and then an EH would do it too. If you have any difficulties contact me through my web site www.goodsellamps.com and I will make it right at no charge.

Richard Goodsell

4. Timinator

Richard, you've been so nice already I felt bad contacting you. I'll see what tubes I have here and have a try at it. Thanks for the help guys. Tim

5. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Now that's service with a smile.:)

6. Timinator

I did have some extra 12AX7's but first I tried swapping them around and that worked. No more chimey tinkle sounds. Thanks, Tim

7. booj

booj Member

I've had problems sometimes with dust getting into the voice coils of some JBL's I've had, I just got used to dealing with a little noise now and then. I would always go away though.

8. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Could also be some detonation under heavy acceleration - that can make a metallic chimey sound. One of the benefits of going to a single-fire ignition system.

This IS the V-Twin forum isn't it??