very frustrating! the amount of pickup makers out there,need SC's for strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by joolzriff, Jul 5, 2005.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i dont think i'm digging these SCN p/ups on my deluxe strat,very flat sounding.
    i acctualy prefer the SD classic stack strat in my tokai,thats a nice p/up but is a little thin sounding.
    ive read and read a million threads on here on single coil p/ups and cant come to a conclusion on reviews,also ive heard clips on some boutique sites but the clips did nothing for me.
    basicaly i have a ash strat and want that hendrix,doyle bramhall,trower thing going on with my marshall.(NO dire straits or hank marvin strat tones)
    could anyone turn me onto something in that field.?
    there just are WAY too many SC makers out there and i dont have the time or money to go through them.
    i just want a super quiet p/up that delivers that tone in spades with no fancy gadgets or quirks.
    any recomendations?

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

Wolfe MacLeod will wind you anything you want. Just send him a CD w/the sounds you'd like for each PU position and you'll get some back that sound like that...

www.wolfetone.com

Loudboy

3. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

The DiMarzio Virtual Vintage series are hum cancelling and very nice. I have a Heavy Blues in the middle position of my koa Stratocloner and I love it, dead quiet, hot and fat. It's actually more of a bridge pickup but I have hb's in the neck and bridge positions so I wanted something hotter than a regular s/c for balance.

Here's some clips from my friend Harry Jacobson (he's a DiMarzio endorser) of a VV 2.2 (neck), VirtuAL 2 neck (middle) and VV Solo with alnico 2 magnets (bridge): http://www.harryj.net/strat_VV.htm The bridge one was custom made for him but in DiMarzio's page there's a clip of the standard Alnico 5 version.

4. alderbody

alderbody Member

WCR SR's... Jim's site

Classic, super Stratty tones, yet very quiet.

Especially if you shield the strat and do the "Star Ground wiring"
    guitarnuts site

the best i've ever played! :AOK

5. Dcareaga

Dcareaga Guest

I just got my guitar back today with Kinman AVn 56 pickups in the Neck and Middle positions.... they sound Incredible and there is NO noise.... They are as quiet as the EMGs that were in this guitar and incredibly Bell like. I have tried MANY singles.... these are the best I have heard yet.
    Check them out in the pics below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

www.kinman.com

6. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

Fender Custom Shop '69's - Traditional, late 60's era single coils made to sound like those that would have been found in Strats of that era (think, Hendrix's 68 Strats). Not noiseless pickups.

Kinman AvN Woodstocks - Again, made to emulate the loud, punchy 60's era Strat pickups. These are noiseless and are said by many to be Kinman's best offering to date.

Vintage Vibe Guitars - Contact Pete Biltof at vintagevibeguitars.com and discuss with him exactly the tone you're trying to get. Pete is a custom pickup winder without the high dollar "boutique" prices. Although they are not noiseless, Pete has a way of shielding his pickups that make them rather quiet (for single coils), without the loss of the high frequencies that is often a by-product of shielding.

There are tons of pickups out there. These may at least point you in the right direction. Personally, I'd try Pete Biltof first. He's very responsive to personal tone requirement requests.

7. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Tried em all, singlecoil and noiseless. Wagner SR's just freakin' RULE! -Eric

8. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Suhr,- These things are magic, Henderson and landau use them.

9. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

What price range are you looking at joolzriff?

The recommendations here are all over the board price-wise.

10. papersoul

papersoul Member

When it comes to a strat - I want noiseless - Kinman! I also hear the VV are awesome!

11. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

it apears that i'm looking at spending roughly $250-$300 on a tri set.....ive been all over the web and that seems like the norm...
    actualy i'l spend up to that if i get the right tone.but i just wanna do it once and not 50 times,i'l keep loosing money obviously.
    i just want that smokey,woody fat punchy strat tone.
    i know there are some blues classic rock players out there on this forum so i thought this would be the best place to ask....thankyou all for reply'n.

12. Unburst

Unburst Member

13. JPenn

JPenn Member

I would suggest something that has a little more mids than standard. I have a set of the DiMarzio VV's(Blues bridge/2.1/2.1) in my ash Strat and they sound good, but I think maybe it would sound better with some more mid-heavy SC's. The ash seems to emphasize the lows and highs. The tones you're talking about came mostly from alder-bodied Strats.

14. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

you hit the nail on the head actually
    i want my p/us to be more mid than what i got and also clearer and more bell tone.
    what p/ups are classic mid monsters?

15. unclej54

unclej54 Guest

check out bill lawrence's webb site..give him a call..he'll talk to you personally and he'll get the lowdown on the sound that you're looking for..wind them for you personally and they'll cost you around $45 each.

i built a custom for a studio musician out of houston a couple of years ago and bill spent two hours on the phone with him..listened to him play..built him exactlyl what he wanted and it's the baddest soundin' axe i've ever made.

http://www.billlawrence.com/

16. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

In that case, I'd look at the Wagners...

Hmmm...I just came from the Wagner site and I don't see the SR single coils listed anymore. Does Jim still make them?

17. tonehoney

tonehoney Member

I just noticed the SR's missing from Jim's website, too, so I've written him an e-mail asking about them. If we can't get them anymore...yikes!

18. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

I was partial to the Rio Grande Muy Grande set that I had in my old strat. Think strat meets p-90 it still had the quack.

19. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

did anyone get a reply from jim wagner about the Single coil pickups he makes or dosnt anymore??

20. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Fralin Blues Specials with a SP43 in the bridge will get you there.

Personally, I don't hear a lot of heat coming from Hendrix's pickups and I think you get his sound from regular winds {Fralin's Vintage Hots are delicious for Jimi stuff}. That Marshall sound system was a big part of his live sound but I like the studio stuff best...

Anyway,

I love Fralin pickups. He winds them for you anyway you want and if you're not happy he'll wind them again. I like the stock off the shelf stuff and patronize the great acmeguiarworks.com every chance I get. They almost always have Fralins in stock.

Best.