Very impressed with my RCF speakers

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Crowder, May 11, 2015.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Last year a member here was selling a pair of RCF NX12SMA powered monitors at a nice price. I didn't really need anything so nice, but I'd just sold a couple of things and had the cash in PayPal so I made the purchase.

We've had a couple of gigs since then, and I always used my QSC K8's over a single JBL powered sub for FOH, with the RCF's as monitors. That setup has worked well for indoor gigs. This weekend we had an outdoor show and I knew the K8's wouldn't be enough, so I put the RCF's on the poles and used the K8's in angled amp stands for monitors.

The NX12SMA's are coaxial 12" speakers with something like 600 watts nominal power per box. They really killed...very loud and clear, easy to EQ, with power to spare. Very impressive (as they should be for the $1650/box retail price).

I'm trying to resist the temptation to trade into a pair of RCF boxes to use for FOH all the time. The K8's are very handy, and I'd probably have to give them up to get anything new. I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on any more used RCF's from their prosumer lines. Would love to have a pair of the 710's or HD10's.

2. spence

spence Member

I was glad to see your post. I'm leaning towards a HD10 for my acoustic guitar and a HD12 (or HD32A) for a mains speaker. I've never heard RCF speakers, but all the reviews are good. I'd love to have one of those monitors!

3. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

any of the Italian made RCF product I would use in a second.

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

Our tops are normally QSC K12s that are owned by my bass player...

I went to check out a bunch of different speakers to use as vocals monitors when the K12s are there (we sometimes have to use a sub for my bass player who plays in 3 different bands) I also wanted speakers that were capable of being used alone as tops for an unplugged project or with a sub for my trio...

I walked out with a RCF Art 710a MkII after running the racks of all comparably priced speakers ...I preferred them over the K10s and like the RCF 12" version better than the K12s...for me the RCFs are warmer and much more comfortable to listen to than the QSCs which have this upper mid emphasis...provides clarity but can be very fatiguing to listen to over longer periods of time...

The RCF also kills as an acoustic guitar amp...I can picture doing a solo gig with just one speaker...

I liked the 710 so much I bought a second one and a used Mackie 1801 and SRM450 v2 to use as a PA for an upcoming gig for about 75-100 people...I am really impressed with the 710s...

Might be the best 500 I have ever spent!!

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  5. spence

spence Member

I've read a number of posts describing the QSC's as being harsh when pushed, whereas the RCF stay clean and clear at volume.

6. Crowder

I wish they were only $500 over here!

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

When I listened to my Bassplayer's rock band through the K12s...my ears were aching and very fatigued...I am extremely sensitive to upper mids...I couldn't wait to leave!

That's in Euros :D

That was a special set price which included an RCA cover (these are great and a must have) which are normally 55...the speakers alone used to cost 496 euros...that price has now gone up to 550 euros just for the speakers or 605 with cover...I got in just before the price increase...

8. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I'm trying to make a decision between QSC and RCF right now. I want a pair that will double as monitors in my wedding band, and speakers I can use for folk trio, acoustic, and stripped down full band gigs (or where I can thrown in a sub as needed).

I'm strongly considering the RCF 310a/312a MKIII and the HD10a over the QSC K10/K12. We use K12s as our mains in the wedding band - usually max 200 people, and they handle more than enough since we typically front-load the mix with vocals and avoid overly stuffing kick and bass through them.

RCFs make sense $$$ wise, but I just want to make a sound investment. Any help/insight would be appreciated!

9. Crowder

I have some QSC's and the above-mentioned RCF's. I like them both. I haven't heard the RCF ART 3xx series, though reviews are positive. I doubt those particular speakers are objectively "better than" the K-series, though every set of ears is different. I think the HD10/12 speakers are meant to more directly compare to the K-series. I'm not sure what differences exist between the HD series and the 710/712 series. Might just be cosmetic for all I know.

Spec-wise the ART 310/312's seem underpowered, but there's a lot of voodoo in the wattage specs of powered speakers, so use your ears.

I have a set of K8's and they're very handy. I put them on amp stands to serve as monitors when we need that. I just bought a K10 from a forumite to replace the last of my JBL PRX612M's. It will be used as our drummer's monitor.

teleking36 likes this.
  10. teleking36

There's a pair of HD10a's on ebay right now with the cases, and I'm very tempted to grab those. The price seems pretty good considering they retail for $800+ each, which is more than the K10s.

11. Crowder

I think as Seegs pointed out, the price is probably about the same in currency-equivalent terms, so don't let that sway you. OTOH I don't think you'll be disappointed either.

12. lschwart

lschwart Member

I would jump on those. I think they'd be terrific speakers for your situation. I use the 310a all around as mains and monitors for my bands (a 5-7 piece ethnic music ensemble and solos/duo/trio acoustic acts). They're good, but the HD series is better. And the NX monitors are even better than that, and another step up are the TT1-A. A friend ran sound for us using his TT1-A and NX-SMA system a few weeks ago, and they were pretty great. I wish I had the cash to upgrade.

FWIW, the 310a is about the best speaker--sound wise--you can find for the price (about $400, US). To my ears they are a little smoother and more hi-fi than the K10, and they are plenty loud (127 SPL, compared with 129 for the K10 and the HD10). A good budget choice--at least it was my choice a few years back and I've never regretted it for my purposes. But if I had the cash, I'd look at the higher level RCF series.

Louis

Chris Hayden likes this.
  13. teleking36

Looks like I waited too long :(

They're gone.

14. lschwart

lschwart Member

Oh, well! Shows how attractive the deal was, I guess!

Louis

15. BarneyFife

BarneyFife Supporting Member

We use a pair of RCF HD 12's for the mains. With or without subs they always sound really good to me. Very smooth and open.

16. soulohio

soulohio Member

I have read on ye olde inner net that RCF supplied the drivers for first versions of some Mackie powered speakers....

17. Creighton

Creighton Member

I have had the RCF ART 312A-mkiii's for awhile and I would say they are easily best in class for the pricepoint. Echoing what Crowder said they do seem slightly underpowered, esp for vocals in my experience, but the sound production is incredibly warm and transparent vs other speakers I've heard. Try listening to your ipod through them to see how great they sound.

The HD series would be the perfect set of mains for gigging.