Very interesting.... (Best Buy content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ecbluesman54, Aug 21, 2008.

1. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

2. mitch236

mitch236 Member

I wonder if this isn't some joint venture with GC or the like?

3. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Looks like the carry the same product line. I would assume it is a guitar center, musicians friend, etc partnership.

4. mitch236

mitch236 Member

Have you ever noticed that all the large chain internet sellers all seem to have the exact price and availability? I was checking up on Budda's SD 45 this morning and all the online vendors have the same exact price and all have Sept. 1st as the availability date. Very interesting.....

5. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Virtually all major manufacturers have a MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreement with their dealers. The dealers can obviously sell the equipment for whatever they want, but they agree not to advertise it below a specific number.

(That's one reason why Sweetwater never used to list any of the prices in their catalog.)

6. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

Although it is interesting that no one has any left, it doesnt mean they all pull from the same warehouse or something. I know GC and Musiciansfriend as well as other large retailers that own are owned by the same person or group do, but if they all say september even between companies with seperate owners that is because that is the date given by Budda.

7. pear gage

pear gage Member

GC,MF,music123 and others are all owned by the same corporation. For some reason I suddenly feel like playing Monopoly.

8. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I saw a Bogner head in the list. Imagine being able to drop a ton of money on an amp and getting a 2 year product replacement warranty on it.... Something goes wrong, you get a new one.

9. richey88

richey88 Member

It's the end of the world as we know it........

10. strat94

strat94 Member

Imagine the glut of used stuff that will be on ebay/craigslist/etc after every kid who is good at guitar hero talks mommy and daddy into buying a real guitar and amp. A few months later, they lose interest and there will be lots of cheap used stuff out there....

11. Derelict

Derelict Member

:beer

12. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

My favorite product description so far:

Dunlop - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay Pedal for Most Electric Guitars - Green
    "Compatible with most electric and acoustic/electric guitars"

:jo

13. FPFL

FPFL Member

We should put the site through one of the Eng-rish translators next.

14. cfdude

cfdude Member

I don't think this is a colaboration. They want to eventually crush GC. Trust me it wouldn't take much. They have huge buying power and an infrustructure already in place. I think you could see this expand in the next few years. You probably will see a concept store come up next with everything GC has. Take a look at where there were in 1986. $250,000 dollar a year company. Look where they are now 41 Billion. GC in size is no where even close. If I were GC I would be worried.

15. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

It isn't just GC that should be worried. This will have an effect on all music retailers.

16. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

I cant wait for the Best Buy used vintage gear section and the quality staff they'll hire.

17. cfdude

cfdude Member

They won't do vintage. To iffy with up swings and down swings. You have to have contant cashflow to please investors. Look at what their stock has done in the last 20 some years because they keep moving forward. Like them or not, pretty amazing on Wall Street.

18. rrhea

rrhea Member

This is definitely not a GC collaboration but quite the opposite. We have a GC near a Best Buy here in Memphis and there are two camps of guys at that store:

a. those worried about it

b. those planning to put in an application at Best Buy when they convert that store over.

They'll likely supplant GC and become a major player, but Best Buy has never really had super great prices in my opinion and it's likely their prices on music gear will be too high, as well (not to mention those stupid rebate price tags that fool you into thinking something is cheaper than it is). But I'm sticking with GC... got lots of history there and good service.

Ryan

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  19. disaster

disaster Member

Hm. This whole thing has me rather conflicted- I'm no fan of GC (if it went under I could care less), but it is a serious bummer for mom-and-pops (same with record stores). Then again, I don't think it'll effect most of the high(ish) end boutiquier stuff, much like GC doesn't really at the moment.
    It would, on the other hand be incredibly handy to grab strings/pedals, and when the holidays come around and the gift certificates start flowin... You know what I mean.

Damn, sometimes market capitalism is so confusing.