Very light overdrive pedal?

Field Cate

I have a fender twin and given it's incredibly high clean headroom, it's very difficult getting a super heavy rhythm tone. I use an OCD with the drive fully cranked, but that doesn't allow me to get a lighter clean tone that still has some sharpness to it. Whenever I turn the volume down while using my ocd I either have full overdrive or no signal. So I was wondering what a lighter overdrive pedal would be that I could have on all the time to kind of simulate a sharp clean tone that wouldn't take away from my ocd tone. Something that would sound like an amp with a gain knob very slightly on. Because the fender twin with nothing on sounds too clean. Like no sharpness at all.

joealba

Silver Supporting Member
Zvex Box of Rock (with gain around 11 o'clock, it's magic -- my default tone, but might be slightly bass heavy with your twin)
J. Rockett Blue Note (can dial out some bass to work with your amp)
Keeley mod Boss Blues Driver (check out the Daniel Steinhardt interview with Andy Timmons)

jdel77

Whenever I turn the volume down while using my ocd I either have full overdrive or no signal

By this do you mean the volume control on your guitar?
If so, then the issue isn't about pedals but about the wiring in your guitar.
You need to make sure your guitar is wired up 50's style or setup so you don't lose treble when you roll back your volume and also to ensure you've got the correct taper and value pot.
Once that's sorted you should be able to go from spanking clean to full distortion off your volume pot with most decent dirt pedals such as your OCD.
What guitar/s are you using? How is it wired up?

No457 Snowy

A Crowther Hotcake can do a light "edge of breakup" drive very nicely with almost zero detectable change to the amps eq.

I could be wrong but I think what the OP is describing as "sharpness" is his term for describing light edge of clean breakup.

The CMATMODS Butah does it nicely too with just a touch more colouring to the amp eq, (it's a Bluesbreaker variant).

Last edited:

Blue-moon

Gold Supporting Member
Been through a number of klones and the one I like through my Two Rock Studio Pro is the Rawkworks Light OD.

jb4674

I have a fender twin and given it's incredibly high clean headroom, it's very difficult getting a super heavy rhythm tone. I use an OCD with the drive fully cranked, but that doesn't allow me to get a lighter clean tone that still has some sharpness to it. Whenever I turn the volume down while using my ocd I either have full overdrive or no signal. So I was wondering what a lighter overdrive pedal would be that I could have on all the time to kind of simulate a sharp clean tone that wouldn't take away from my ocd tone. Something that would sound like an amp with a gain knob very slightly on. Because the fender twin with nothing on sounds too clean. Like no sharpness at all.

If you can't get a heavy tone out of a twin, you're not pushing it hard enough.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom