Very Newbie Question For You Guys

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by aaronl, Apr 2, 2008.

1. aaronl

aaronl Supporting Member

Hey guys I have a empty 4X12 cab here and am trying to scrape together some speakers to put in it.

I have 2 8ohm and 1 16ohm is there anyway to make the all work together??

The amp is a sovtek mig 100 and has 8ohm and what looks like maybe 2 4ohm outputs on the back

Thanks for any help!!
    Aaron

2. doc

doc Member

Several ways you can go. If you want to use exactly what you've got, wire the 2 8 ohm speakers in series, then put that in parallel with the 16 ohm speaker, leave the other hole open. Then use the regular, 8 ohm output from your amp. Use this reference to see how to wire the speakers this way: http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/spkr_wiring_sp.html

A more traditional arrangement would be to buy 2 more 8 ohm speakers and wire them in series/parallel; that would also give you an 8 ohm load.

Make sure your speakers are rated for at least the wattage of the amp.

I'd suggest you invest in either an attenuator or some earplugs too (seriously!).

3. aaronl

aaronl Supporting Member

Doc thank you sir.

At least it does have a master volume

I really liked the way this thing sounded with the master on about 1-2 and the volume on around 5 it has this great "classic rock" sound that I have been looking for

I had a Fender hotrod deville 4x10 for a while its a nice amp but I just wanted something diff.

Thanks again

4. doc

doc Member

5. aaronl

aaronl Supporting Member

Sorry I should have mentioned this I plan on getting 2 more 8ohm or 3 more 16ohm speakers before long I just wanted to try to get up and running.

I guess I could use just use the 2 8ohm but isnt 3 more better? :Devil

6. doc

doc Member

If your main output is 8 ohm and you plan on running the one cab, I'd get the 2 additional 8 ohm speakers and wire it series/parallel for an 8 ohm total load. If you plan to run 2 cabs, you could get 3 16 ohm speakers and run parallel for a total 4 ohm load and get a second cab at 4 ohms as well. I'd probably go with the first option.