Very proud of my son last weekend...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by CyberFerret, Mar 1, 2015.

1. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Regular members here have probably seen me post multiple threads of my son's guitar playing etc. and know that I am a proud dad, but last weekend I became even MORE proud of my son because it looks like he will turn out to be a fine member of society.

My son is 15, and as you may all know, it is a challenging time for young teenagers as they are hitting puberty, finding out about the world and their place in it. I like to think that my wife and I have put some hard work into raising our sons, and ensuring that they know the difference between good and bad, respect, honour etc.

Now my son has a best friend who goes to the same school, and coincidentally plays second guitar in the same band as my son. They were both invited to a party at a female classmates house on Saturday night.

As it usually happens at these age group parties, a couple of the kids sneaked some alcohol in. One of them was my son's best friend, who sneaked in a bottle of soda that was pre mixed with Vodka. My son didn't know about this beforehand.

Anyhow, at the party, his friend shared the drink with a girl, and they both hid in a corner of the yard to get drunk. My son went looking for his friend later and found them both in an advanced state of intoxication, with the girl coming on to his friend and his friend actively trying to take advantage of her intoxicated state. He grabbed his friend by the collar and pressed him up against a tree and told him angrily to sharpen up his act and not take advantage of anyone in this manner.

Then, the girl began to come on to my son! He broke away from them both and decided enough was enough and went into the house to fetch the parents of the host.

Long story short, the girl started suffering alcohol poisoning as she had also been drinking neat vodka from another smuggled source. An ambulance was called to give her medical aid and the host's father came down like a ton of bricks at all the kids there.

My son got a lift home with another friend's mom, and was visibly shaken when he got home - at the events of the night and also at the possibility that he has lost his best friend over this.

We assured him he did the right thing. We got calls from several other parents, as well as the host's parents who corroborated my son's story and thanking him for stepping in and preventing a bad situation getting worse.

I know that my boys will make mistakes, all part of growing up, but I think their radar is set right and that they will strive to make the world a better place, and that makes me glad...

2. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Silver Supporting Member

Wow! Good boy you got there. As you say striveing for what is right is on track. As the father of a 14 boy I read your story closely.

3. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

4. Jd3

Jd3 Member

Cyber -- your son ROCKS! :aok You have obviously done a great job raising him, and please reinforce that he not only has nothing to be 'ashamed' about, he needs to be proud. I have two boys (12 and 14), and I would hope they would act the same way.

We need more kids like your son !

best,
    Jd

5. karmadave

karmadave Member

Some kids (and adults) know right from wrong. Sounds like your son does :)

6. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

That is one stand up guy you've got there. I'm sure you'll let him know that he saved people from doing a potential lot of harm that night.

That takes some character!

7. Jasonspap

Jasonspap Member

You can also be proud of yourself and his mother for obviously doing an excellent job of raising him.

8. RJLII

RJLII Member

We are ultimately defined by the decisions we make in life. The right decisions are rarely the easy ones. Your son has distinguished himself by making a tough call for all the right reasons. This sort of behavior at his age is predictive of future success. I've always felt that if you equip your kids with a good compass, they'll always be able to find the right path. Well done.

9. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

You have good reason to be proud.

10. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

Yessir! Congrats CF on raising a good one!

11. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

You very well should be proud of him. Morals and principles in teens and young adults are developed at home, which is a direct reflection of parental influence. You and your wife should take great comfort in knowing that the example you set and the principles you taught have manifested themselves in a positive way and made a huge impact on another person's life. Kudos to you and your wife.

12. AdrenalinJunkie

AdrenalinJunkie Silver Supporting Member

This is TGP, so let me be the first to say your son is wrong!

J/K;) As a father of 4 daughters, tell your son he did good looking out for the girl in what could've been a bad situation.

13. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Takes a lot of courage to be the voice of reason, at that age.

good for him.

14. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

At 15, your son has his head on straight more than most 30 year olds I know.

15. GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd Member

Good for him... You should be proud.

16. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

Outstanding Devan, and kudos to 'Son the Elder' :aok
    The apple doesn't fall far from the tree

17. wstsidela

wstsidela I'm bonafied Gold Supporting Member

18. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

You deserve to be proud Devan. He rocks!

19. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Kudos to your son sir!

20. jds22

jds22 Member

Well done.
    You have every right to be proud.