Very Small Multipurpose PA/Monitor

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by CEFlint, May 24, 2015.

1. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

I'm looking for a small, self contained box that can be used for the following:
    • Personal monitor for use with a larger PA
    • Studio rehearsal monitor for drum/bass machine
    • Emergency Direct Out guitar amp if used with modeler
    • PA for very small solo instrumental gigs / live background music with accompaniment tracks mostly
    So far, I'm looking at the Kustom PA50 and the TC Helicon VoiceSolo FX-150.

Both have 3 channels (one for MP3 or 1/8" input) and each of the three channels has separate EQ. Most standard monitors or powered speakers don't have the stand alone feature and need an external mixer, etc. I'd like an all in one unit.

Please let me know about any experience you have with these, or if you have other suggestions. I'd want the personal monitor to be able to keep up with a moderately loud blues/classic rock group. I'm not too concerned about the price difference between the PA50 ($80) and the VoiceSolo ($250), but don't want to go much over that.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Member

Roland Cube cm30 is exactly what you're looking for
    indestructible - versatile - mic-stand mountable

peace

3. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

Even one of the Galaxy Powered hot spots might do fine.

4. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Yamaha StagePAS 300 that fits those needs. You can travel with just one speaker with the contained mixer amp. Also can be placed on a stand with the optional bottom bracket.

5. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

I've been looking into this for a while myself and it seems like there's not much around in the 50 - 100+ watts range that is not only good quality, but also affordable. The Roland cube (cm30), from what I've read is a bit underpowered. But the Kustom (PA50) is too low quality and is not really gig worthy.

Isn't there a decent quality new (not used) PA powered speaker (mono) that's affordable ($60 - $150), at least 50 watts (or higher), has at least two inputs, and weighs under 30 lbs. Reverb and a few other effects would be a plus. I don't really want to use an external mixer for effects either (because it's another thing to carry). But I do have a small mixer (with built-in 'passable' effects) if absolutely necessary.

It seems like there's so little in this market. It's usually too underpowered or way too over powered, heavy, and expensive. The PA50 looks like it would be ideal, if the build quality was better (often on sale at GC fro $60 - $80).

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  6. Marty C

Marty C Member

I use the TC Helicon unit. I purchased it to use as a small PA. I sing and play acoustic guitar.

Everyone has their choices, preferences, reasons, Etc. I like the Solo 150, since it is very versatile. The routing options for monitoring are endless, but sometimes confusing. It is lightweight, but seems well built.

It does well for vocals. Certainly better than an acoustic amp. Don't like my crappy voice through any acoustic amp. Reverb's pretty decent. Best small solution PA I have tried. I use it in conjunction with a TC Helicon Play Acoustic. I will get a second Solo 150 to use them in stereo. The only thing I don't like is the huge power block. Bigger than most laptop blocks.

It will get loud if you need it to. Should be able to hear it over a blues band. Might have to put it on the floor. Not my experience, but others say it can feedback at loud volumes when hooked on the mic stand.

Very clear sound, but I am no expert. Check out some of the forums on the TC Helicon site for more experiences.

7. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Since they're on sale, I ordered one of the Kustom PA50's and also a TC FX150. I'll try both out and return the one I don't like.
    Despite the Kustom Karma, this box gets some very nice reviews, as does the FX150. Probably best overall reviews in the class.
    What I like about both is 3 channels with separate EQs on both.

Neither of these set in stone, so please keep more opinions and ideas coming.

8. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

I recently bought a Line 6 Stagesource L3T. While this would be overkill for your needs, perhaps the L2T might serve you well. I have been pretty impressed so far with the L3T. Self contained mixer with EQ, Fx for each channel; it's quite loud and for my applications, handles bass and guitar equally well. Used, I've seen the L2T go for <$500. Consider it if you don't find what you're looking for elsewhere.

9. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

Update: I settled on the TC VoiceSolo. It's got a huge amount of clean volume, options galore, compact, and front mounted controls, which I'll prefer since I'll either have it directed at me from the front/side or I'll be standing in front of it. The patching options are amazingly versatile, and the sound is superb.

The Kustom gets really loud, but at very high volumes, it gets farty. Also, fewer patching options, so not as versatile as a multi-use box. The Kustom weighs about 3 times what the VoiceSolo weighs.

The Roland sounds great and also has a lot of options, but only 1 XLR input. Also, the EQ section was global, where the VoiceSolo has separate 3 band EQ for each of the 3 channels.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.