Very stupid question from newbie: I don't know how to plug in my new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LuckyBystander, Dec 24, 2009.

1. LuckyBystander

LuckyBystander Member

I just got a new Matchless Avalon 30 head and cab, and I don't know how to plug the head's AC power cord. Specifically, the power cord is not the normal two- or three-socket cord that plugs into the wall of a normal house. Rather, it's got two round prongs and it says 16A 250V on it. What do I need to power this amp?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'd really like to play with my new toy today and over the Christmas holiday.

Many thanks in advance!

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Whoopsie, wrong cable. Call your dealer.

3. architect

architect Member

that is a european plug. Do what riffmeister says and call the dealer.

4. LuckyBystander

LuckyBystander Member

Unfortunately, with it being the day before Christmas, they're closed. Can I just use the power cord from my AC15? Would that hurt the amp?

Again, many thanks for any insights you can give this clueless newbie.

5. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

There should be a place on the back of the amp that says the voltage. What is the voltage?

6. Kappy

Kappy Member

You can get a $15. converter from Radio Shack. They're probably still open. Make sure it's the right voltage. I have one for 220, I think, (from Holland).

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

make damn sure, or you'll blow up your brand new amp.

8. LuckyBystander

LuckyBystander Member

The back of the Matchless says 120V, and the power cord from my AC15 says 125V. The back of the AC15, like the Matchless, says 120V. So would it be a safe conclusion that the Matchless takes the same power cord as the AC15? It seems like the right conclusion to me, but I'm clueless when it comes to these types of things.

9. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

Nobody wants to feel responsible for you accidentally cooking your new amp on Christmas Eve. I know I don't. That being said, if I had two amps that ran on North American current, I would feel fine using the cord from on amp on another. I've never heard of any amp having any sort of converter in the power cord itself. But again, that's just me.

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+1 That said if the amps says 120 using the cord from the other amp should be fine-unless the amp itself is mislabeled. Bob

11. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

sad how much a simple cable can cause confusion. And I agree its "probably the wrong cable". But I am not a betting man!

12. JDJ

JDJ Member

Well, better to plug a 240v amp into a 120v outlet then vice versa, I always say!

But you could plug it where the dryer goes I suppose. But I wouldn't. :D

13. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Nobody wants to give you bad advice, but I have used cords from different amps interchangably before. If both amps are labeled as 120V heads and have the same type of three prong connection on the back of the amp, the cords should be interchangable.

14. JJman

JJman Member

If a cord fits properly it will work. Amps don't draw enough current from the wall to worry much about the gauge and the cord doesn't care about the voltage. It's the shape of the plug/prongs that correspond with various countries' outlet shapes and those respective voltages.

The wall has voltage and the amp wants voltage. Make sure those are the same voltage. If the amp was intended to be sold in the USA, you are ok plugging into normal 120v USA wall outlets.

Definitely do not plug into a 240v USA outlet (e.g. Electric Clothes dryer) even if that Euro plug fits into it. Poof.

15. LuckyBystander

LuckyBystander Member

Thanks for everybody's help! I really do appreciate all your insights.

16. MeMota

MeMota Member

So how did it sound?!

17. teletalkin

teletalkin Supporting Member

Did ya hear any killer distortion before you plugged your guitar in?.......just joking.......congrats on the new amp. Wish I had a new toy like that!