very "Trippy" wood ..............killer...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by TRIODEROB, Aug 4, 2008.

1. DC1

DC1 Member

Hey Jack, is that one of yours?

What does that wood sound like?

thanks

DC

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Yes, it is one I made last year for a friend out in LA.
    When I first built with the ancient Kauri I had a blank that was rather dense, so I chose my Saturn Deluxe platform to build upon, since it has a chambered body. The second one that I built (that's pictured below) was a lighter and much livelier sounding piece. Every time I handled the body blank it sang to me with a very pronounced tenor-like voice, which prompted me to opt for a non-chambered Saturn Deluxe this time around. We also chose to string through the body to bring as much of the Kauri body wood into play, tonally. Utilizing the Pigtail wraparound bridge, the owner has the option of either wrapping or stringing through the body, or a combination (ie: through for wound strings; wrapped for plain). This instrument also had specially wound pickups from Dominick Ramos, which are ultra high fidelity to let as many nuances out when amplified. The end result is an instrument with a lot of Fender Broadcaster in it, but also with it's own voice.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So really the two pieces that I've built with sounded quite different in the white (raw, unfinished wood). But the finished instruments were closer tonally than what the raw blanks would suggest: very open and lively; unforgiving of sloppy playing, kind of the way a Tele, Broadcaster or Esquire is, lots of top end with a full rather flat response throughout. Remember, Kauri is a lot like spruce or pine and tonally, it's not too far from either. If you've ever played a Tele with a 1-pc. pine body, you'll know what I mean.

Cheers,

3. DC1

DC1 Member

Great work!

Now I want one...

:band

thanks

DC

4. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

I'd like to pet that.

5. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

Let that be a lesson to you all... Don't drink and post! :jo

6. Chrislosacco13

Chrislosacco13 Member

That's exactly what popped into my head immediately!!