• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Very unusual Lowden: M23BEN

lionaird

I recently acquired a Lowden guitar which seems to be pretty unique. The model no. is M23BEN. Looking at the label, it must be one of the S. Yairi built Lowdens dating somewhere between 1980 and 1985. Highly figured mahogany top. Birdseye maple back and sides. I've never heard about a Lowden M series nor did I ever see a Lowden guitar which resembles this one.

Some pictures:

The guitar is a mystery and I would love to get some more background information about it. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Tobias

Claytone

Silver Supporting Member
The one I had doesn't look like this one except for the same headstock logo, but mine was a cedar top and a fantastic playing guitar, certainly equal to the two Lowdens I've owned subsequently, an 0-10 and my current 0-12. I traded it toward an early 40's J-45 and don't regret that decision, but my Japanese-made Lowden was a memorable guitar.

M

Member 995

That is a really interesting guitar. I've never seen a Lowden with a mahogany top. I also can't remember seeing one with birdseye maple back/sides, though I've seen some with maple.

The curvature on the back is really striking and also is something I haven't seen on other Lowdens, though I haven't seen many from this era.

Cool guitar!

lionaird

The amazing thing with this guitar is that it looks nearly brand new. So does the case. It must have been stored away for most of its life. Tried to get some more information on this particular model but no luck so far...

Top Bottom