Very versatile od/dist?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ptgold, Feb 5, 2012.

1. ptgold

ptgold Member

Im looking for something versatile that will match well with dirty amps something that can do a nice clean boost, a bluesy overdrive all the way to a saturated smooth liquid lead.

Beem looking at the bb preamp, wampler pinnacle, fulltone ocd, plimsoul, Fulldrive, GT-500, suhr riot. All in all im pretty confused as alot of them seem to do the same thing. Just looking for one box right now that i can use for for different styles...blues, funk, metal, rock etc.

2. Nate37

Nate37 Member

VFE Distortion 3 does all of that like MAGIC.

3. guitargod2u

guitargod2u Member

yeah fulltone gt-500 will do that i use to have one but sold due to bills.have also owned ocd,dls, and many other drive pedals

4. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

I think you'd be very happy with a Lovepedal Eternity E6. The Tone Monk Seed of Life will get you there too. But look at the E6. :aok

5. ptgold

ptgold Member

Vfe and lovepedal.....hadnt thought of those, will check.

6. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Just had a VFE Alpha Dog and it's equally versatile, getting solidly into Rat territory. I've recently been liking the Jetter Gold Standard - all of the two stage Jetters are very versatile, the GS gets more mids and bark and can go from Eric Johnson violin tones to Marshally stuff on the gold side, and clean boost to very amp-like gain on the Helium side. I don't own one, but I've sat with the Wampler Ecstasy and it has a lot of good tones in there, and I have a feeling the new Diamond Cornerstone will have a pretty good range as well.

7. scottleamon

scottleamon Member

Your description of needs is the Rockbox Boiling Point!

8. ibanart300

ibanart300 Member

I can definitely vouch for the OCD in particular the latest version the 1.4. I have been using it for a light boost and with the gain cranked for some progressive rock/metal. It is by far the best pedal I have ever used. It's tone knob has the most usable change in tone I have ever experienced and the gain has the best sweep ever.

9. Dirtybender

Dirtybender Member

Dr.Scientist The Elements will do all that for you.

10. macki

macki Member

The Empress Multidrive get my vote as the most versatile - fuzz, distortion and OD that you can combine in parallel and very good eq to boot.

11. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Did anyone else think about the Wampler Ecstasy when they read this? I sure did.

12. larrysingtran

larrysingtran Member

13. chervokas

chervokas Member

FD2 -- with comp cut you have the clean boost, in vintage mode with boost side on you have saturated liquid lead tone, in mosfet mode you have crackling open dynamic chordal crunch. To me it's the Swiss army knife of ODs...the one OD I take when I can only take one because it's so freakin' versatile.

14. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I would suggest Wampler's Paisley overdrive. On his website he demo's this pedal with a variety of guitars and tone. Very versatile.

15. koa

koa Member

How about a Tim?

16. YETI

YETI Silver Supporting Member

Lot of tones in a Signa Drive..

17. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

I agree. The Multidrive has three separate circuits you can run together and blend. The Distortion circuit alone is like three pedals in one (marshall voiced, mild/mid-heavy/very heavy drives).

I love mine, and use it constantly. Endless sounds to dial in and explore.

18. TheGuacamoleXplosion

TheGuacamoleXplosion Member

+1 on the Alpha Dog ... very nice and versatile, from almost clean boost through Germanium Drive to Rat style distortion. However, if you want a big low end, you will need something else.

Most of the VFE drives have lots of switchable options, so you might check them out. Also, the Solidgold FX Super Drive and Subdecay Super Nova Drive look quite versatile, but I haven't played them yet.

My main drive is an Okko Twinsonic, a very transparent overdrive plus a pre drive clean boost that can be individually switched with footswitches, plus there's an adjustable post drive level boost that kicks in when both boost and drive are activated. Very nice lowgainer. Add the Alpha dog and a nice fuzz (Retroman Sybil in my case: independent silicon and germanium fuzz faces in one box), and my drive needs are covered. Well, almost ... just ordered a "King of Clone" from http://clonewerk.com, couldn't resist at that price point ...

19. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

20. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Barber Burn Unit EQ or Barber DDSS