Very weird experience selling a used pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StevenStrat, Jul 8, 2019.

1. StevenStrat

StevenStrat Member

So I see a guy on a facebook group post if someone is selling a Line 6 M5. I had one lying around, so I responded.
    We agree on a price and I ship it. I even found the original box with all documentation, etc. The only thing I didn’t find was the power supply. Didn’t think it mattered, as I thought everyone used a power brick on their board. I never said the original PSU was included, but in hindsight I should have told him it wasn’t included.
    Guy receives the pedal, sends me an angry message how a used pedal should always include the PSU, and implied I was trying to screw him over.
    So I thought ok, I should have told him about the missing PSU, I tell him he can send it back if he wants and I’ll refund the shipping costs both ways.
    Then he says he threw the pedal into a wall already out of frustration?!

Not sure if that’s true but weird encounter either way.
    Do you guys generally care if the PSU is included or not when buying used?

Bobby Brown and moore_for_less like this.
  2. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

If the pedal originally comes with a power supply, then yes, I totally care about it.

However, if I bought a used one and the seller didn't include the supply I would not throw it against a wall-- I would send an email.

When a new gear arrives... what do you want to do? PLAY IT. If you are desperate to do that and you don't have a way to power up the gear that would be disappointing.

Not Orange, ToneBenderz, LTE and 14 others like this.
  3. TakisMasterKey

TakisMasterKey Member

The guy is a lunatic. Period.
    You, on the other hand, should have stated that there was no PSU.
    Me, I don't buy used :D

4. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

yes, of course you have to provide the original ps unless you specifically say youre not. this is not at all a unique preference.

the fact hes claiming to have thrown it against the wall precludes his ability to ask for a refund.

5. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

you should reply that you were so upset that he threw the pedal against the wall that you threw the ps against a wall. the ball is in his court now.

6. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

As the saying goes, "If you break it, you bought it".

Case closed.

7. Madsen

Madsen Member

Anything that comes with a custom power supply i'd desire & include a power supply. Anything that runs on a generic Boss adapter or a rack unit that uses a 3 Prong AC power cord, I have a ton of those lying around so it's not a big deal. I'll usually ask if it's included in the sale if I don't see it in the pictures.

I sold a BBE 2 Timer delay pedal a while back & forgot it came with a power supply since I always used it powered by a brick unit. The buyer asked about the power supply & I went digging thru my bins & included it in the sale.

Jabberwocky likes this.
  8. StevenStrat

StevenStrat Member

It runs on any boss style power supply, nothing special...

9. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

Unless the seller states that the power supply is included, or if they offer to include one if needed, I assume it isn't available. If the pedal I'm interested in normally comes with or needs a specific power supply, I'll ask them if they have it, but I do my research. Like when I bought a used Fulltone 69, I already knew that I needed a different adapter then what I had or could just use a battery.

Now, when someone goes the extra step of having a childish temper tantrum by throwing it into a wall? You should offer to smash the power supply with a hammer and send it their way.

10. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

Goes to show that assumption makes an ass of u and mption, or something.

Legally, over here you're not required to state what isn't included, only what is, otherwise you'd be in a situation where you have to state:

This item does not include:
    An elephant
    A selection of sex toys
    A Lockheed jet fighter
    14 cases of Bavarian Blonde Beer
    A dozen eggs
    A pickled monkey
    12 boxes of crystallized ginger
    8 barrels of 5 star brandy
    A mating pair of geckoes...
    and so on.

11. cardinal

cardinal Member

That's pretty odd. As for him smashing it, if it actually happened, who knows what else is going on in his life right now, so I wouldn't try to read in to it other than I really don't know how to respond.

12. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

There's a guy in the pub that is well known for his drywall prowess. He's pricey though…

Mike R., mbenigni, Peps and 7 others like this.
  13. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

The more I think about it the more it sounds like a guitarist.

Bob

14. Madsen

Madsen Member

Looks like it's got a high mA draw though. 400ish & my bricks only go up to 250. I'd want the plug for something like that as to not chew up 2 sockets on my brick. I'd certainly have asked though or spent $10 on a one spot for it before pitching the thing at a wall.

Mr. Crow likes this.
  15. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

You make it sound like the box and paperwork were “extra” or else not discussed in the sale. He should’ve asked or you should’ve mentioned it. It’s a simple divergence of expectations due to lack of communications on both parts. Nobody’s wrong- well he is for destroying the pedal in a fit of childlike rage.

:spit

16. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Where's my pickled monkey, you cheatin' mofo ????

Isn't the human race a disappointment?
    On the average. I mean...you and me excepted.

17. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

Aye, lad. Everyone's an idiot except me and thee... and I'm not too sure about thee. ;)

18. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Supporting Member

So then the power supply IS included right? ;)

19. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

So you included the orig box. Wasn’t there space in the box for the PSU? That would prompt me to mention that to the buyer. Just saying.

20. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

You missed the "and so on" bit, which implies there's a lot more to come? You can bet your bum the power supply would be on that list, along with:

A rubber chicken
    A chicken rubber
    A small lump of green putty
    A sucked and spat out Smartie
    Half an apple
    10 green bottles
    The 3 Degrees
    12 Apostles
    The Fiddlers Three