Very weird experience selling a used pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StevenStrat, Jul 8, 2019.

1. DiAmoroso

DiAmoroso Member

In my opinion you made an innocent mistake in not mentioning the power supply not being included. The buyer made a much bigger mistake of acting like a baby about it. You made the right move offering to have him return and refund. Makes it a slight pain in the ass for the buyer, but again an innocent mistake on your part. Once he did damage to it, your responsibility to the situation ended.

Jabberwocky likes this.
  2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Hey, it's OK, an M5 is a ticking time bomb of bad engineering anyway. A few months and it'll spontaneously stop working no matter what you throw it against (ask me how I know). The M9 and M13 are killer gear, the M5? Eh, not so much.

3. Madala

Madala Member

The buyer's reaction seems way over the top, but would obviously have been avoided if you mentioned that the PS was not included. Sometimes people are just going through a very stressful time in their life, and an experience that quickly turns from eager anticipation to disappointment can provoke strong reactions.

I personally would be quite disappointed if a purchased item did not arrive in usable condition, and I had no prior knowledge of that fact.

Since you've already tried to resolve it to no avail, chalk it up to experience and move on.

Jabberwocky and drifterphase like this.
  4. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

He sounds like a temperamental head case with HUGE unreasonable expectations and childish tantrum issues when they're not met...like many buyers on the web. If a missing power supply set him off, imagine if he found a tiny chip in the finish. Big expectations = big disappointment every time.

InAbsentia likes this.
  5. bertramladner

bertramladner Supporting Member

If it comes with a PSU like a Strymon and it’s not included it’s highly preferred to indicate that. I always want them and I do use a pedal power. But I always check before hand. If he threw it at the wall the. He’s ended the dialog

Jabberwocky likes this.
  6. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

What a stupid post.

Come on, no one is suggesting missing geckoes is a shock but a pedal that won't work without a PSU? Sure, I think it's worth mentioning that there aren't enough parts included for it to work on arrival.

7. twisty571

twisty571 Supporting Member

If it's not a regular 9v I would like the power supply, but on the other hand if I don't see it listed with power supply in the description or it isn't in the pictures I automatically assume it doesn't have it.

8. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

Wait - y’all don’t test every used pedal by getting angry over something of little to no consequence and throwing it into the nearest wall?

How in the world do you know for sure if it’s an honest to god original Centaur, then?

9. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

In many years on this forum, I think this is one of the very best posts yet!

10. dmac in SC

dmac in SC Silver Supporting Member

What pedal was it? [Edit..I see that now, sorry) Can you prove it worked before the guy slammed it into the wall...Did you sell it at top dollar or lowball? Did the sale require you to abide by any third party rules? Do you actually have the funds released to you?

If the answer to questions 2, 4 and 5 are yes, no and yes respectively ...then the hell with the idiot...I'm personally curious as to what the pedal and the price were as to solicit such a response:munch

Seriously, buy and sell your stuff locally (if possible) and in person always...even if it means a road trip

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  11. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

If it's the type of pedal that includes a P/S when being sold new then it should be included! For instance an M5 I believe comes with a P/S new, but say a Fulltone OCD doesn't then the M5 should include one, the OCD should not unless stated otherwise!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  12. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

Most of the GAS stricken halfwits out there would be happy with just the box ...

coltonius likes this.
  13. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

You have screwed the guy over and should be held responsible for not only the cost of the pedal, but also for the repairs to his wall. :D:D

Seriously, just don't engage a maroon like that by conversing back and forth- shut him down and move on.

coltonius likes this.
  14. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

:spit

Sounds like Adam Sandler might be gearing up for a gig with Hollywood Vampires

15. jlinde

jlinde Member

I'd hate to see what that guy does to his guitar every time a string goes out of tune

FokenBusker and Original_Fire like this.
  16. JackfromAK

JackfromAK Gold Supporting Member

"So I'm going to hurl myself against the wall
    'Cause I'd rather feel bad than not feel anything at all" - Warren Zevon

17. iForget

iForget Member

If your buying a used pedal you should be expecting a pedal. All the rest I would expect to be disclosed in the negotiations. That being said I would try to be as clear in my posting as possible because you never know when your going to fall on someone who will flip out because the owners manual isn’t included. I would guess that this buyer said he destroyed the pedal as a negotiation ploy to get a refund and keep the pedal which makes him a jerk. Otherwise he’s a nut job. Either way your can’t make him happy. If I was expecting a power supply I might have negotiated to get back a few bucks but that would be the sum of my anger. Personally I’ve stop selling things on social media and now sell on consignment at a music store, I realized that I get more money (not to mention the 10% for the store) then I did selling online and I don’t have to deal with people who don’t understand “price is firm”

18. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

FB delivers again!

coltonius and drifterphase like this.
  19. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

Bizarre.
    Yes, i would absolutely care if it weren't included, if it's included by the manufacturer when new. Can't assume everyone uses a full pedalboard. Can't assume people don't use batteries in pedals. Can't assume the buyer won't want to sell the thing weeks/months down the line and then have to deal with the problem of not having the original equipment included.

Throwing the thing against the wall is insane, though. Instead of offering returning the thing, i might have offered to find/ship him a power supply from somewhere.

Jabberwocky and mgscheue like this.
  20. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Agreed on both counts! Especially if the PSU is something other than 9V, center negative.

Vhailor likes this.