• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Very weird experience selling a used pedal...

monty

Meh. It’s not like it’s a proprietary supply. It’s a readily available 9V DC 500ma adapter. He bought a used pedal that wasn’t advertised as having a power supply - wasn’t advertised at all.

Heck, a “brand name” supply is well under $10. The guy is a freak and a bully.

If it was an odd voltage, or something proprietary, I could see a follow up from the buyer to see if the seller forgot to include it, but I don’t think I’d be bothered to do that in this case.

IMHO this falls into the category of folks who shouldn’t buy used...in the same league as expecting an original box, hang tags, a COA, a generic truss rod tool, no Velcro on the bottom of a pedal, or the inclusion any other inconsequential case candy. Stuff that only has any real value because a few folks on the Internet have given it value.
Agreed. I'd rather take a beating at the local shop for trade in than deal with those folks.

McShred

Goes to show that assumption makes an ass of u and mption, or something.

Legally, over here you're not required to state what isn't included, only what is, otherwise you'd be in a situation where you have to state:

This item does not include:
An elephant
A selection of sex toys
A Lockheed jet fighter
14 cases of Bavarian Blonde Beer
A dozen eggs
A pickled monkey
12 boxes of crystallized ginger
8 barrels of 5 star brandy
A mating pair of geckoes...
and so on.
Surely you're not that daft. The pedal didn't ship from the factory with any of those things, but it did ship with a power supply...a proprietary one at that. (the M5 consumes a higher MA draw (400) than many daisy chains and cheaper power supplies can deliver.

Thats like selling someone an amp and forgetting to tell them the power tubes are not included. The amp ships with tubes, will not operate without tubes, ergo tubes are implicitly included with it unless stated otherwise. Remind me not to do business with you in the emporium.

coltonius

Señor Member
Surely you're not that daft. The pedal didn't ship from the factory with any of those things, but it did ship with a power supply...a proprietary one at that. (the M5 consumes a higher MA draw (400) than many daisy chains and cheaper power supplies can deliver.

Thats like selling someone an amp and forgetting to tell them the power tubes are not included. The amp ships with tubes, will not operate without tubes, ergo tubes are implicitly included with it unless stated otherwise. Remind me not to do business with you in the emporium.
Easy there. No need to be a drama queen.. Once again the message is:

Don’t assume. It if matters, ask.

I’ve purchased several items that were just a photo of a pedal and been pleasantly surprised when it shows up in a box with all of its niceties from the manufacturer. If I needed to know for sure, I asked before buying. Problem solved.

Not dealing with people in the emporium because of something humorous they said in a thread is a poor reflection of you, not that person. It’s a cold world out there. You’ve got to look after yourself because nobody is going to do it for you. (That means doing your homework.)

TwoHandsTenThumbs

Gold Supporting Member
If they normally come with one, yes you should have included it, You seemed very nonchalant about it, and I would be bummed as well that you didn't mention that it didn't come with one, your the one that dropped the ball on that deal.
i wouldn't smash it though.

Total heart breaker when you buy some thing, it arrives, but you can't use it!

Could you imagine buying any other electronic product that was non music related, and it was sent without the special power supply, You'd be pissed!!
We're not talking basic BOSS 9v here.
Actually, thats’s exactly what we are talking about. A Boss PSA-120, regular ole 9V. That’s exactly what it needs. The EHX is also the same specs, but 1/3 the price.

Seriously...it’s just about the most standard thing in the world. Cheap as a set of strings. It would cost more in postage to ship, than the dang adapter costs to buy!

Goes to show that assumption makes an ass of u and mption, or something.

Legally, over here you're not required to state what isn't included, only what is, otherwise you'd be in a situation where you have to state:

This item does not include:
An elephant
A selection of sex toys
A Lockheed jet fighter
14 cases of Bavarian Blonde Beer
A dozen eggs
A pickled monkey
12 boxes of crystallized ginger
8 barrels of 5 star brandy
A mating pair of geckoes...
and so on.
Hmm, are you suggesting I shouldn’t have smashed the original Klon I bought that didn’t have a pickled monkey in the box... where was this thread when I needed it?! Haha

McShred

Actually, thats’s exactly what we are talking about. A Boss PSA-120, regular ole 9V. That’s exactly what it needs. The EHX is also the same specs, but 1/3 the price.

Seriously...it’s just about the most standard thing in the world. Cheap as a set of strings. It would cost more in postage to ship, than the dang adapter costs to buy!
A PSA 120 streets for $30, shipping a USPS priority mail flat rate envelope is $6
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PSA120S--roland-psa-120s-power-supply

TwoHandsTenThumbs

Gold Supporting Member
And new, the BOSS is about the most expensive option out there!

You can buy the 500ma EHX for $10. You can buy a generic one on Amazon, free shipping, for $7 or $8.

Seriously. A lot of drama over a USED device, missing a part that hardly covers the cost of a coffee run.

If people want boxes, manuals, power cables, twist ties, and plastic pouches...buy new. It’ll stress you out less.

coltonius

Señor Member
The EHX version uses a step down transformer, which gets hot and can create noise, and takes two plug spaces on a power strip. The boss unit (and the one the M5 currently ships with) are switching transformers, create very little heat, low noise and occupy only one plug space on a power strip.
So clearly you’re the guy who demands the most expensive form of recompense available when wronged. :rolleyes: (“My cheeseburger came with onions when I clearly said NO ONIONS. I want a new cheeseburger and free Happy Meals for a month!”)

I think it’s fair to say a comparable power supply is owed, not the “Cadillac” version.

Only 200mA though... doesn't the M5 draw about 300mA?
Fair point. I’m 100% sure a comparable supply can be found without spending a very dramatic $36 though.

andybaylor

Silver Supporting Member
Idiocy on both sides.
Selling a pedal that has a non generic power supply/won't work without it and not including it or specifying that it is not included? :facepalm

Throwing a tantrum and ruining an item rather than resolving it?:nuts
I’m going with this.
(Dick move not including the power supply.)

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
If you’ve played electric guitar for any period of time and you don’t have a box of wall warts and power supply cables then you’re not doing it right.

Getting pissed bc someone doesn’t ship you a power adapter is STUPID. Especially if it isn’t explicitly stated prior to purchasing the pedal that it’s included

Trending Topics