Vexter Box of Rock now available

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrisr0712, Sep 27, 2006.

1. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

2. mustangman

mustangman Member

very cool! I just hope they sound the same as the handpainted ones, because the Vexter ones aren't made in America.

3. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

Erik Sexe has tested hundreds of the Vexter BORs and says they sound identical.

i pre-select the transistors here and FedEx them to the assemblers along with the Switchcraft jacks and stainless internal-tooth lockwashers. the pots are Alpha (same as the hand-painted versions), the switches are the blue 3pdt type i use here, and even the battery clip is the same brand and type. the wire used inside the pedal is the same brand and type as what i use here too. the resistors are all metal-film and the capacitors are ceramic X7R temp-stable types, exactly the same as the handpainted BORs.

the biggest electronic difference between the Vexter BORs and the handpainted BORS is the circuit board, which is red in the Vexter and green in the handpainted units. that might make a difference. 8^) red is a hotter color.

4. Medication

Medication Member

How come everyone is getting so bent out of shape about Vexters being built in Taiwan? Zach has said numerous times that he oversees all production. You'd think that for someone like Zach with such high quality standards, buyers wouldn't be dismayed by the production in Taiwan...but I digress.

5. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Any chance of ever getting a Vexter SHO?

6. gonziak

gonziak Member

Where are they made?
    I've been waiting for such pedal, why so long We've just finished CD album.
    best regards and thanks a lot

7. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

Zachary, what's the possibility of a BoR version without the boost? I'm very intrigued with the od but already have the boost covered.

8. utterhack

utterhack Member

You could, y'know, not engage the boost.

9. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

Wow! I never thought of that. :Spank

10. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

too bad it's not made in America, I would buy one.

11. gururyan

gururyan Member

I was thinking the same thing, except my reasoning was that it would be so cool to have a pedal half the size of the BoR...distortion only. Maybe it would even be 1/3 off in price. Look at the pedal again, now cut the left half off...isn't that cool?

:AOK

12. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

You're kidding, right?

13. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

I suspect there are a couple of concerns people have.

Some probably believe that the workmanship may suffer with overseas production. When some people spend hundreds of dollars on a relatively simple electronic device (compared to say, a TV or Stereo), they may feel that it makes a difference who is behind the soldering iron, even if the components are identical. American workers have a good reputation and foreign production is often associated with lower quality standards. In light of Boss' record of quality during their 16 years+ of Taiwanese production, this might not be a problem for a lot of people.

Others prefer that their money go to American workers, even if all other things are equal. Although a lot of economists would criticize the wisdom of this thinking, it holds a sway with a lot of people. Union workers, for instance, have historically been particularly likely to support this kind economic protectionism.

I have also seen others voice concerns that the movement to overseas production does not appear to correspond to a drop in the consumer price. There are, for instance, a number of pedals that offer similar features, a drive and boost in one pedal, that cost the same or less and are made in the United States. The Fulltone Fulldrive 2, Homebrew Big D, Electro Harmonix Metal Muff, Toadworks Death Rattle, and others are dual stomp drive/boost boxes that are made in the USA and carry a similar or lower price tag. The other side of this coin is that while Boss, Ibanez, Behringer and others have offered overseas-made effects for substantially less, Asian-made boutique pedals at a similar price point have been gaining popularity. The Seymour Duncan Twin Tube and the recent model Maxon pedals carry price tags of $200, and they seem to do quite well notwithstanding their Asian manufacture.

14. Medication

Medication Member

Well put. Thanks for the insight, Munky!:AOK

15. Traintrack

Good response. It's the import of cheap labor that Ticks me.

16. Medication

Medication Member

The only pictures I've ever seen of facilities here have been of Dave Fox. I may be completely wrong on what I've infered, but it sounds like you're comparing a facility of Zach's hand picked workers/good friends to a Malibu Barbie type facility where children just pound out tons of dolls within minutes, which sounds like comparing apples to oranges.

I'm not trying to start a flame war
    Just strictly an interesting conversation in good taste :BEER .

edit: After reading your editted post, I understand now. :AOK

17. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

Hand painted, American-built Z Vex pedals carry a lifetime warranty. That warranty goes with the pedal to whomever owns it, no matter how many gear sluts pass it around.

The Vexters have a 2 year warranty that only applies to the original owner and is non-transferrable.

Since both versions use the same parts and design, I guess that explains the $100 price difference between the Vexter BoR and the and painted BoR.

18. Traintrack

Medication, This is not the place now is it? :jo

No Flames for me either,,, I should think before I post.

19. utterhack

utterhack Member

QFT. This post needs to be stickied.

20. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

ironically enough...

1] my pots have always been made in Taiwan. Alpha, my favorite.

2] the basic parts for Switchcraft jacks come from China and are assembled in NY.

3] the transistors i use for my SHO and Super-Duper and BOR circuits are made by Fairchild (one of my favorite childhood companies) who manufactures the BEST sounding mosfet transistors in...

wait for it...

wait...

ok, here it comes...

in just a second...

the Philippines.

4] i've been replacing failed switches for years, Carling (originally US but now Mexico) being the worst, Eaton (always US) being okay, NKK (Japan) being sexy but somewhat soft, but this company is amazing. the blue 3pdts are from Taiwan. just stellar. tough, reliable, and solid-feeling. best, most trustworthy switches ever made for pedals, period.

ladies and gentlemen, the majority of useful electronics are being made in Asia, and it's been going on for decades. it's the best place for electronics, ever. yes, there are unusual parts that can only come from the US, or should i say, could only have come from the US in the past, and i have a responsibility to collect these parts and protect the future of my products. but Asia makes my products work. and always has.