• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

vexter vs normal zvex

shaneygoo

lifetime warranties are overrated
exactly, like say you had a lifetime warranty, pedal breaks and you died tomorrow...

pass the pedal on to your kids, they're SCREWED!!!

in this case the one year warranty is way better... post mortum coverage

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
In previous threads, Mr. Vex has stated that the transistors are different manufacturers, but the same type. I don't remember about the capacitors. Most of the parts are the same like the jacks, knobs, etc.

shark_bite

I thought Vexters were built in China vs. regular Zvex which are built here in MN. I could be wrong about that.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
There are a few small differences and Mr. Vex has covered in on TGP before...a search will find it if you look hard enough...

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
There are a few small differences and Mr. Vex has covered in on TGP before...a search will find it if you look hard enough...
Exactly. I just bought a Vexter FF, and did the search to find the answer. The answers are out there...

zachary vex

In previous threads, Mr. Vex has stated that the transistors are different manufacturers, but the same type. I don't remember about the capacitors. Most of the parts are the same like the jacks, knobs, etc.
This is a seriously mistaken post.

I most certainly did NOT say that the transistors were different manufacturers.

All Vexter transistors in the VBOR, VBOM, and VFF are all IDENTICAL to the transistors used in the hand-painted units. They are procured from the same sources and shipped from our factory here to the Vexter assembly house.

The jacks are identical, as are the enclosures, the wires, the switches, the battery clips, and even the lockwashers used on the jacks, which are stainless and shipped from our US supplier.

The resistors and capacitors are from different sources, but have little if any influence over the sound.

From the FAQ on the forum of my website:

http://zvex.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3814

zachary vex

Check out a comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UglQkcVTPA8&feature=channel_page

They don't sound the same to me in that clip.

Pfft. He's comparing early models where the pots had linear tapers on the US versions. The sounds are identical, but you have to adjust the pots to different positions to get to the same values on the pots. You can get identical tones, and you can get the same range of tones, but the pots have to be in slightly different positions.

When we first started making the US versions, there were no audio or anti-log pots available in the values we needed here. We had to special order them, and we made units with linear pots for a few months while we waited.

The person who made that video could easily have contacted me to verify this, had he the slightest interest in finding out why they sounded different. Anyone who has any questions about my products can easily contact me via my website. I'm happy to answer any questions accurately.

jamiefbolton

so just me thinking out loud. i'd love to hear Mr. Zachary's take on a Tubescreamerish pedal. Not a clone, but just a TS inspired.

wishful thinking?

zachary vex

I'm not interested. I love Marshalls, which is why I made the Box of Rock. I don't love tubescreamers at all. The only tubescreamer I've loved is the TS808 I got many years ago for free because the switch was broken, and after replacing the switch I sold it for $300 immediately.

I leave the TS cloning/modding to the TS lovers.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
This is a seriously mistaken post.

I most certainly did NOT say that the transistors were different manufacturers.

All Vexter transistors in the VBOR, VBOM, and VFF are all IDENTICAL to the transistors used in the hand-painted units. They are procured from the same sources and shipped from our factory here to the Vexter assembly house.

The jacks are identical, as are the enclosures, the wires, the switches, the battery clips, and even the lockwashers used on the jacks, which are stainless and shipped from our US supplier.

The resistors and capacitors are from different sources, but have little if any influence over the sound.

From the FAQ on the forum of my website:

http://zvex.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3814
Of course, you are right! My sincerest apologies. It was the resistors I meant. Again, use the search function, it's all here.

DIRECT QUOTE FROM ZACHARY VEX:
Vexter Fuzz Factory versus US-made Fuzz Factory

Components that are identical:

Jacks, switches, pots, transistors, enclosure, battery clip, battery, circuit board layout, brand of wire, solder, lockwashers, dress washers. The transistors are tested individually at my shop before being put in either version.

Components that are different:

Knobs, brand of resistors (same type though), brand of capacitors.

There has been some concern expressed about a diode being "clipped" out of the circuit on the Vexters. This is because we stopped soldering it into the US-version and had a number of Vexters on hand that needed to be altered to be the same way. This diode is part of the power supply and does not affect the audio. It's to protect the circuit from reverse-polarity power supplies, but we discovered that when used with a high-powered supply it causes more harm than good, and in normal circumstances the circuit will survive a reverse-wired supply without any harm anyway
Again, sorry for the confusion.

this1smyne

Zach, you rock man. I just dropped in a new chip into my SHO, the old one was making some noise (I actually didn't notice it for a while, but suddenly was like, 'bad cable?') dropped in the chip to the SOCKETED slot and dead quiet. ingenius thinking to socket that thing man.

PS. they are all the same. one is handpainted and the other isn't, one is more affordable because its not a piece of art. If you want pretty cough out the extra dough, if you want to play it than grab a vexter.