VFE Pedals: Blues King vs Pale Horse

kinkynoah

Are there any VFE fans out there who have tried both these pedals and would like to share your opinions? I know that the Blues King is a Bluesbreaker and the Pale Horse started as a TS but morphed into its own thing. Both are described as transparent. But what's the difference in sound and feel?

For a bit of background, I have a BK and love it. It's the only OD I've tried that sounds equally good with US (Ampeg GVT) and UK (Marshall JTM1) amps. However, my unit seems to have developed a bit of a crackle on the note decay recently, so I'm looking to either buy another or try the PH. I like that the PH has both bass cut and treble cut trimpots, instead of the hard and soft clipping options on the BK that I don't really need.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

jazzfromhell

I can't help you with that but as an idea, check out the Bondi Del Mar. It's a TS and BB in one, selectable via a switch, and it has bass and treble knobs. I haven't played it in person but the clips sounds freakin amazing.

I had a BK about a year ago and I agree on the trimpots, B/T would've been more useful but still a great pedal.

kinkynoah

Thanks @jazzfromhell but I'm not actually looking for a TS. I like how flat and transparent the BK is, and am wondering if the PH has the same flavour, but with EQ controls I would find more useful than the hard/soft clipping.

Fretsalot

KN,

VFE/Peter is a member here on TGP, send him a note (if you haven't already) asking about the 'crackle' you mentioned, he may be able to fix you in some way.

Good luck,

Fretsalot/Scott

Jason Calieri

Silver Supporting Member
I have (and like) both. They're very different. PH has more gain, too. The Pro Guitar Shop demos are good for showcasing the tones.

DaveKS

I have (and like) both. They're very different. PH has more gain, too. The Pro Guitar Shop demos are good for showcasing the tones.
I own a PH and BK Burn, friend has reg BK so I've played it too. Go to YouTube, type in VFE Jetcity, he has demos of both, same player, same guitars/amp/micing. That really shows each to their best effect and differences. He has 2 of BK.

Between mine Burn is capable of as much gain as PH, just voiced a little different. Of the two PH gets most use but not by much, it is the most versatile tonally with its high/low cut knobs. If I want to cop some Warren Haynes type tones BK Burn, want to get a little grittier alt country type tone say Ryan Bingham or Whipsaws then the PH.

If your BK has developed problems reach out to Peter, the man will bend over backwards to keep his customers happy. Send it back to him he'll either fix it or replace it no questions asked. He might be able to guide you through a few simple things you can try on your end, what you describe kind of sounds like a power issue. Realize your on other side of planet from him but cost of shipping probably won't be as much as buying new pedal.

Have you tried running it on a battery?

kinkynoah

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm going to ping Peter about this crackle problem, as I really do like the BK. Will also try an isolated power supply or battery, as I use a daisied OneSpot and that might be the problem. I experience the same crackle with my Screwdriver and Bonetender, so there's a bit of a pattern there.

Trending Topics