VH 5150 Tone - What is going on?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sws1, Jan 18, 2008.

1. sws1

sws1 Member

Just heard some 5150 material on the radio this morning. (Good Enough). Now I really don't like that tone at all. Nonetheless, anyone have any sense how he got it? It doesn't even sound like an amp. Almost computer generated.

2. grantford

grantford Member

Sounds like a marshall completley washed out in FX. Eventide, I guess? I know he says he always used his plexi, but sounds more 800 to me. Who knows on that?

3. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

I just think his Marshall was starting to "crap out".

If you've listened to 1984 alot, you can hear it starting to go south/sound tired. Running it with a variac and having to change power tubes nightly :crazyguyjust plain ol' wore it out.

4. kruts

kruts Member

He was playing a soldano SLO...

5. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

incorrect afaik. Started using SLO on the next album.

6. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

It's an Eventide harmonizer that you are hearing... you hear it creeping in on "1984" as well. But it's full force on "5150". He liked to be STEREO! He always said he hated that on the 1st album, if your left speaker in your car stereo was busted, you would hear no guitar... so he started using the harmonizer to stereo-ize his sound. So it's interesting that the tone everyone raves about on the 1st album(s), which a big component of was reverb/studio production, he wasn't that satisfied with.

7. cram

cram Member

wasn't his favorite sounding album (for guitar) Fair warning? LIke that's where he first mentioned achieving his "brown" sound.

8. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I'm not sure about that. The open "G" chord he hits at 0.37 in "Mean Street" might just be my favorite recorded guitar tone ever though... I have actually listened to it over and over, rewinding it and just going.... wow...

which tells me I need to get out more!

9. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Wasn't he playing Peavey amps on that album?

10. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

It would seem you've been getting out as of late...... :AOK

11. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

I LMAO with this quote, but I also know what you mean. Now try to recreate the 'depth' of his tone on that tune at home in your basement and you really go :crazyguy

12. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Correct. I've owned one and could easily dial in that chorusy jape. The Eventide 3000 series also has a certain voicing/tone of it's own even with little FX are dialed in. You can hear this all over the 5150 and OU812 releases.

13. redplexi

redplexi Member

5150 was recorded on a couple different Marshall's. Ed's Original Plexi w/Lay Down Transformer and a couple were Steve Lukathers.

I think that "Good Enough" was just over produced on the album. I just listened again, it's just mixed down with FX throughout the Song. Like others said, either a H-3000 or a PCM 70

And I do Believe that the Soldano SLO was Brought in on the OU812 Album. I have heard from some people who claimed to be "in the know" That when the Peavey's first came out that there was a SLO 100 Fitted into a 5150 Head Cab for a Tour. There are others on here that May Know that for Sure, because they have been in Direct Contact with His People.

Just my .002

14. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member

....lol! Same here. I don't even have to listen to it, I know exactly what you're talking about, everytime I hear that chord I go Wow! Fair Warning has my personal favorite playing & tone from Eddie.

15. paulscape

paulscape Member

He also experimented recording with more than one amp at the same time. Not sure if he was doing that around 5150. Its not a bad tone, quite unique actually. I also dig the saggy 1984 tone too. Its ed's 'brownest' tone IMO.