VHT Appreciation Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SgtThump, Aug 23, 2007.

1. slayer

slayer Member

I use to own a VHT CLX 100 2x12 with 2 Celestion CL80`s and it had the Graphic EQ. It was a paint peeler and awsome for speed metal and would blow your hair back!! It was the 27 th Pittbull ever made, a 1993. If I didn`t need the money a few years ago, I would have never had sold it. Mine used EL34`s and I used EH 6CA7`s in it, serious volume:BEER

I would love to find an old head version of the CLX 100 with the graphic eq, but no reverb(don`t need it).

Jack

2. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Had a 45 years ago, should have given it more time.
    Currently have a Deliverence 120. What a monster! No clue why these amps have caught one, especially with TGP. They are one channel wonders. Can do the heavy new Metal tones, but I love it for hot rodded JCM madness. As much as guys on here alwaystalk abotu rolling their volume back on the guiatr to clean up, this amp does it beautifully! Cleans are very good as well. I think if it were a channel switcher people would rave. Great hot MArshall tones. Not my number one amp, but easily could be.

3. KRosser

KRosser Member

Yup. I sure do.

Me too!

4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

What's with the Sig-X? anyone have one yet???

5. philnz

philnz Member

Everyones guessing but nobody really knows. I think VHT are just making sure that the amp is "the business" before they start shipping it. I read on a forum (VHT users I think) that they'd had a select few players giving the amp a final run thru. Hopefully it won't be too much longer, all I know is the waits just killing me:bkw

6. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

I'm still rocking hard on my live UL/D412 rig. Sounds like a million bucks! I just did a couple of sessions in a studio and I honestly prefer the D60 head more in that environment, but the UL sounds killer too and works extremely well live.

Hoorah for VHT...

Chris

7. SgtThump

Still gigging with the Ultra-Lead 4 months later and loving it. It's a freaking great amp! Yes, I'm sure I'll get tired of it at some point (because I always do), but I don't think I'll ever not like it. It's killer if you ask me. :)

Chris

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

+1, Dana / Ken.

9. SgtThump

I kinda want a 50ST head, just to see what those are like.

10. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

i owned a d120 and ul and they were fantastic sounding amps, i sold both so i could try out some other amps but i would love to get another ul.
    i also liked the deliverance cab better than the fb cab, it matches up better than any other cabs i had tried with the vht amps, i think the p50 is a perfect match.

11. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

U like it better than the Deliverance?? If so, how?

12. SgtThump

No, not necessarily. The UL is way more gig friendly, though. I use the crunch channel for an AC/DCish tone, the high gain channel for hard rock stuff, and the graphic EQ for a lead volume boost to get out over the rest of the band when I'm playing lead. Works GREAT!

I actually haven't played the D60 in a little while, but I remember liking the slightly more "open" tone from it. It also has more "presence" or something, whereas the UL can be a little muffled if you don't set it just right. It's not BAD, though. You just have to add more presence and treble than you do on the D60.

If the D60 had a footswitchable volume boost, it would be my gigging amp.

13. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

:drool Country, Metal, Rock, Jazz. There are harmonics in the Super 30 I owned. Big Mike with Razr13 playing Heavy Metal to chicken picken on his Deliverance and VHT 4x12 Cab throws out some punch and bite. The notes are solid. You can shape or color the tone to your own preferences. Loud too.

14. Giga

Giga Member

Those are almost my exact sentiments regarding my D60 vs my GP3-2/50/2 rig.
    I keep switching tubes to lose highs in the D60. I have treble and presence at zero, mids at 10-11 o'clock and there's still a lot of highs. I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong with it actually

Giga.

15. SgtThump

Holy crap? You have the treble and presence at zero? That doesn't seem right AT ALL. Even if you're using bright speakers and pickups, that still doesn't seem right.

Yeah, I think something may be wrong with your D60. That sucks.

Chris

16. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

Is yours an early one? They revised the circuit a tiny bit to change the treble response. i think it was about a year ago or so....

17. SgtThump

Hey George! Don't quote me on this, but it seems like that tweak only affected the lower gain mode when the preamp gain was turned down low too? I dunno, something like that I think.

I had an "older" D120 and still didn't need to have the treble and presence on zero. That just doesn't seem right at all, right?

18. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

Hey Chris! Bet that cab is getting nicely broken in by now huh? Steve didnt say it was any particular mode that it affected. I remember getting in a later batch and noticed it sounded a bit different. Then talking with Steve he mentioned the circuit change.

Yeah, I've never had to run the treble and presence on zero on either version....something sounds amiss there.

19. SgtThump

Oh yeah, the D412 I gig with is broken in like a mofo. I bet I have at least 30 high volume gigs on it so far. I ended up getting another D412 used and leave that one at home. Even though it's not broken in like the other, it still sounds killer.

The D412 I got from you is the first new cab I ever had that didn't even sound like it needed breaking in. It didn't have that typical raspy treble that new speakers have. Sounded great right out of the box.

20. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

That surprised me with them as well. I hate suffering thru breaking in speakers!