VHT at NAMM 2008 - ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rwe333, Jan 18, 2008.

1. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Didn't make NAMM this year...

Any reports and/or pics from the VHT booth?

Sig: X__? Memphis combos? New speakers? Thanks...

2. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

steve f was showing someone the sigx at the booth but they were deep in conversation so i'll try back today

3. jbird

jbird Member

Ya, they'd better be there! My damn near new D60H blew, and nobody's around to help out!:worried

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Any reports? Thanks...

5. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I heard the new SigX. Best VHT EVER! It can get a more "classic" marshall (ala AC/DC) sound than prior, best clean channel yet, and still gives higher gain options. By far my fave VHT to date. It and the Marshall RR were my two favorite amps (actually, guitar products) at the whole NAMM show.

6. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I played the VHT deliverance for about 15 minutes. I loved the simplicity and the voicing. It's a very musical easy to play amp.

I was surprised at how good the 60 watt sounded through a 212 too.

7. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

vht sig x very nice

best vht to date

lots of flexiblity,

fryette can play pretty good guitar too!:BEER

8. Kelly

Kelly Member

No pics? Who goes to NAMM without a camera?

9. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

From most everyone I talked to this was the best sounding amp at the show. I wish I would have heard it.I walked by the booth on the way to other places and never heard the amp. Guys I trust thought it was amazing and the best amp there.

10. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

11. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

That clip re-confirmed my feelings about the VHT SigX. I was playing it with less gain ala AC/DC early Aerosmith and it sounded equally as good. I might have to break down an get that puppy when it hits stores.

12. coxswain

coxswain Member

The VHT sounds incredible!

13. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

the sigx sounded pretty good, im glad somebody posted a clip because i ordered one last night.

14. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies!

15. sg love

sg love Member

Do you think it'll still be dry and tight?
    I need a little sag to it.

16. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Based on the proto I played at 2007 NAMM, it can go either way (tight to sag) and all points in-between. Really versatile/tweakable...

[​IMG]

17. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I want one...where can I get it?

S.
    j

18. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

It can definitely go loose or tight. Steve was explaining to me while I was demoing the amp that, depending on the wattage mode, the tube rectifier or the solid state rectifier kick in. It has a tube and solid state rect.
    This is super flexible and sweeeet sounding.

19. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I played through the Sig-X amp Friday. It's wonderful - lots of switches that affect sag, gain, eq notches, general tone shaping. It's a great amp - I had a huge smile on my face the whole time I was playing through it.

It's one of the best amps for Strat tye guitars I've ever played through, and excellent for humbuckers too. Stevie Fryette hit this one out of the park IMHO - possibly my favorite VHT amp ever. excellent channel switching and boost functions in all 3 channels.

I heard the first 100 are already pre-sold, but you can get in line. I don't know the wait time, but I know it'll be well worth it.

Hey Wayne - we missed you out in California this NAMM. Hope you're well - I know you're cold up there.(GRIN).

Dana O.

20. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

The knob along the bottom row, just to the left of the "Sig X" logo, is "depth", there is also a "depth" knob on the second channel, also along the bottom, just to the left of the little gap. If I understood Mr. Fryette, these controls are all about dialing stiffness in or out. The top left channel has a presence knob instead, I don't remember why that is, sorry.

The way this amp is designed is about managing the operating conditions and saturation point of the output transformer. There is tube rectification and solid state, but it's not like the Mesa design. I wish I was more technically inclined and could explain it, but I cannot. That said IMHO this amp is possibly better equipped to be dialable for overtone sidebands, than many amps. There are half power modes for the channels too, so that gives you options for further tailoring the gain structure.

I really enjoy the sound of this amp. It's a large sounding amp, but not overbearing and ratty unless you ask for that. Plenty of muscle, modern bass ability, but also a lot of dialable detail, and the KT-88 pair, gives an interesting voice. It sounded wonderful with a stock Strat. I hope they ship soon.