VHT Deliverance and single channel amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by James M, Oct 23, 2008.

1. James M

James M Supporting Member

I'm looking at the VHT Deliverance, and it looks like a great amp, but I don't know how I would fare with only one channel. This may be an ignorant question, but how do people with single channel amps go from clean to high gain dirt without channel switching? Could someone playing covers (or heavy songs with clean sections) play a single channel without relying on a distortion pedal to add hair? And before I get the "use your volume knob" lecture, I know how to use my volume knob, but to go from 70's metal to acoustic simulation with just my volume knob I think I'd lose too much volume. So, to VHT Deliverance owners or any other single channel amp users, how do you guys do it? Convince me!
    :munch

2. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I just roll back the volume... I've had my D60 and D212 for 2 weeks now... and with the amp at 75% maximum gain I can still roll back and get pretty spanky cleans that cut through... at 50% maximum gain I can roll back and get some gorgeous cleans with more than enough volume.

_TJK*

3. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

+1. That's basically it. I've found that low to medium output pickups facilitate this concept much better. 18v EMG's are probably NOT the way to play 'ride the gain'. Also, if you have a guitar that has single coils and humbuckers, it may be a simple matter of switching from HB to SC to get what you need. I do that all the time too.

4. James M

James M Supporting Member

Cool....thanks!
    What's the deal with the lack of an effects loop? Do you run pedals straight into the amp? If so, how's that sound?

5. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

All the time, and it sounds great. Be prepared to run the mix control on your delay much lower than you're used to.

6. markp

markp Member

I play my D-60 riding the volume more than my David Bray Marshall (awsome amp best Marshall I have owned)my soldano avenger(fav. high gain sound,but doesnt cleanup as good)and my FLEXI and univalve.
    Flexi was the one getting the most play for years(I would use a pedal for more gainy stuff)

7. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

So the D60 cleans up better than the THD and Soldano? VERY INTERESTED in your reply.

8. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Flexi has less gain then a gained out D60. mark was referring to running the Flexi with a pedal to go over the top.
    Love my D60, but I think the Sig X does better clean to mean with the volume knob. And yes, I don't think anything touches a Flexi when it comes to dynamic range.

9. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

Good to know. So you think out of the VHT, Soldano and Flexi the THD would be the cleanest of the bunch w/ guitar volume rolled back? Very cool.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  10. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

With the gain cranked on any of them yes.
    With gain at the same levels, the clean on th the Flexi will be louder then on the D60, but the gain on the D60 will be less compressed, since it's generated more in the pre then power section. The Avenger is someewhere in the middle...There is a reason why I use them all. :)
    Plus the Avenger, plus....about 15 others...

11. Occam

Occam Member

I love a good single channel amp that can go from filthy to pristine just with the volume knob. I often will put a few overdrives on my board just for different flavors of saturation but really most of comes straight from the amp and riding the volume knob (I've never gotten used to using a volume pedal).

12. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

So, by that, are you talking about the 2nd or 3rd channel on the SigX, as opposed to the 1st "clean" channel? I'm assuming that one doesn't really do "mean"?

Just wondering, as I"ve seen a few folks compare it to the Deliverance.......I'm assuming they mean the "gain" channels.

13. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I owned the D60 and it was a bad mofo indeed. I used it with a strat and it went from clean to scream with my volume knob. When I needed more dirt I just kicked a boost. I regret selling it.

14. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Never tried a VHT D60 but I know my VHT Pittbull Super 30 cleans up real nice, a lot of times I dont even use my clean channel I just roll the volume back so I'm assuming the D60 must do this real nice especially being a single channel amp.

15. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

But you don't really lose volume or if you do, it's not very noticeable. On most guitars I've owned, rolling the guitar volume down from full on to 1/4" on really only affects the amount of distortion and not the volume.

16. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

sounds like the Flexi needs to be higher on my single-channel amp list. So many cool amps, so little time, so little money, hahahaha!