VHT Deliverance D120 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fetishfrog, Jan 16, 2008.

1. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

So I landed a D120 at a reasonable price. In short, I love it. It does everything it is supposed to. I do have one 'issue' and would like some feedback.

The amp reacts very to volume pot changes, as designed. What I am finding though is, in order for the cleans to remain nice and big when rolling back the volume, the thing has to be set at...well...a less than band friendly volume. Otherwise the clean tones get VERY bright and thin. I suppose that's the nature of the beast to some extent, 120 watts of KT88 power. My question is, how many D120 owners have found this behavior to be true and if so do you a. live with it, b. pull two power tubes, c. run it with an attenuator, or d. just play really loud?

Thx in advance.

2. jbird

jbird Member

I believe a lot will have to do with the quality/type of electronics/pups in your guitar. I do notice what your saying though, and I take it as being the nature of the beast. Hey, this thing aint no jangle machine, right? I get by mostly with either the option of coil splitting and/or slightly lowering the guitar's volume, it suits me fine, though I do like a little hair around it!

3. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

Yeah, I figured as much. My 50ST stays much thicker as I roll back the guitar volume (but isn't nearly as feral when turned up), but I have to think it's do to the power amp working harder. I usually run it with the master at 3:00 and the gain at 9:00, opposite of what others most likely do. I may have to try pulling 2 tubes to see if it makes a difference...or just play louder ;).

4. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Try messing with the mids. The mid control affects the upper mids a LOT and may be the answer to your problem.

5. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

Will do. I usually run them near 1:00. Are you thinking lower, in the 9:00 to 10:00 range?

6. Jerrod

7. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

Thanks, I'll try it tonight.

8. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

Wow, that thing really works. I spent a lto of time messing with the i mids and it's interaction with the voicing control. I got it pretty darn close to perfect. I'll keep tweaking. Thanks for the tip.

9. Jerrod

Cool. Rock on. I looked at mine last night, and it's at 9:30.

10. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

No choice, :). Any amp that pushed the 17th fret high A into your back like a 2X4 being swung by an escaped convict is going to demand a little rock, shall we say.

11. jbird

jbird Member

Ya mind posting your latest settings? Mine always seem to change, that damn mid control is quite powerful, it's probably the one that gets changed most from day to day!

12. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

:) I hear ya.

Yesterday I was running at

Voicing: 2:00
    Less
    Gain: 12:00
    Volume: 12:00-1:00
    Treble: 11:00
    Mid: 10:00
    Bass: 1:00
    Presence: 10:00
    Depth: 12:00

A very nice low to mid level of grind with a TON of punch. Very responsive.

13. Jerrod

My EQ settings don't change much, but I monkey with the Gain I and Gain II all the time. Here's what it looks like right now...

Gain I noon
    Gain II 3:00
    More
    Volume 11:00
    Treble 11:00
    Middle 9:30
    Bass 11:00
    Presence 1:00
    Depth 1:00

A nice chewy gain sound that rocks with a Tele.

14. jbird

jbird Member

Actually, or lately, I've found a different approach to the amp's upper mid character, concerning the mid control! I have all my tone controls at around 1:30, while I have the power amp controls (presence and depth) around 10:30! The Gain I at 2:30 and Gain II around 2:00. Where I use to run the presence control higher, it seemed to add alot of that upper mid harshness? I do like a high treble bump in my tone though!

15. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

16. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

i too scored another VHT D120.......one i had been drooling over for about a year....GC finally dropped the price they say they are only 54 lbs on the website but i am thinking it may be more.....at least my back does....ouch...some heavy iron in there.

i just noticed that this was an old old thread

17. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

54 lbs is shipping weight .... actual weight is 46 lbs. .... Either way it is not light. :)