VHT/Fryette Deliverance 120 owners: Share you settings/dirt pedal configs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Phats, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Phats

Phats Senior Member

I just got a D120 and I'm really stoked on it. I previously owned a Sig:X but sold it because I didn't use all the channels enough and I wanted something that I could get various gain levels with via my guitar's volume/pick attack, and perhaps a boost/OD pedal.

So far I'm come up with various settings - using both the More and Less gain and cleaning up with my guitar's volume. Trying to decide which mode is right for what I'm looking for.

The D120 can get very brutal, and very clean.

I'm still trying to find the settings I like best that can do both higher gain with my guitar's volume maxed, and good cleans with the volume rolled back. I'm wondering however, if perhaps I should set the amp a little less gainy so that the higher gain territory will be yielded by a mixture of my guitar's volume fully up and a boost/Mild OD pedal to get there.

My concerns with a pedal are that I need something that will push the amp but not take away from the amp's eq or cut any of the fullness.

I like the idea of the pedal road because then the amp will have a quieter idle and not be so hissy - as is the case when I have the gain higher on the amp and roll my volume back for cleans.

So ideally, if this is the road I want to do, I'd have the amp set up so with my guitar's volume rolled back slightly, get I some really good cleans, the amp's idle noise is low, maxing my guitar's volume get give me some break up, depending on pick attack, and then turning on a dirt pedal would really push the amp so I get some chunky crunch. Something along the lines of Adam Jones' tone (Tool). Something good for palm muting. I don't need a brutal crazy high gain metal tone, but something that has some meat and grind to it.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Cab is a Bogner 4x12 with V30s. Guitar is a 80's Aria Pro II set neck LP type copy. SD Custom 5 in the bridge, Jazz in the neck. Bridge has a switch wired for coil-split.

2. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

I tend to usually use fuzz with the Fryette amps..... The other sounds I prefers just the amp.

3. kramerxxx

kramerxxx Member

I use a Carl Martin PlexiTone pedal, the original three button one. On the Less setting, with the EQ set flat, I can get pushed Plexi, JCM800ish, and a lead boost for both.

The best way for time delay effects I use an attenuator, either a Hot Plate or a Rock Crushed.

I also have a BB Preamp and modified TS9 that sound good with this amp.

4. Kelly

Kelly Member

I use a rc booster to do exactly what you describe .

5. Phats

Phats Senior Member

What are you d120 settings?

6. Kelly

Kelly Member

Everything at 1 oclock but the master, less mode. Great for clean to vh levels of gain with just the guitar volume.

7. Kelly

Kelly Member

clip i did years ago with a cheap camera. No pedals on this.

8. Phats

Phats Senior Member

Do you find the rc adds boost/gain without loosening the sound/making it flubby?

9. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

I got to play this beast of an amp at NAMM after many years.
    Forgot how aggressive and cool of an amp it is.

10. Kelly

Kelly Member

Yes, imho. Ill try to make another video soon.

11. Phats

Phats Senior Member

Cool, thanks!